Water Quality Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longneck

Reaction score
I need to thank Ewalk02 for bringing up the subject of water quality. It should have its own subject heading. Below is the water data from Ames,IA. Its supposed to have some of the best city water in the country. I know our Microbrewery in town, Olde Main, chose Ames for the water. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Sulfate - 83-110 ppm
pH - 9.50
Hardness (as CaCO3) - 135ppm
Sodium - 22 ppm
Ammonia (as N) - <0.1 ppm
Chloride - 36 ppm
Fluoride- 0.96 ppm
Iron - 0.06ppm
Non-carbonate Hardness- 81ppm
Mg- 11ppm

Water quality is a two step process. First, know what kind of water you want. Second, adjust your water accordingly.

For the first step read (or re-read) the water quality section of How to Brew. From that you can figure out what your targets water parameters need to be for the type of beer you want to brew.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Understanding the Mash pH

For step two, use a Water Chemistry Calculator to figure out how to get your water to where you want it.

Brewing Water Chemistry Calculator | Brewer's Friend

I agree with above. Also there is a great spreadsheet calculator in the How To Brew site as swell (chapter 15.4?) It helps you determine what you want for residual alkalinity based off of color (SRM). Also it will help you know if there are any ions that are too high.

You have to check out Brewater

The basic process is to pick a "Target", I might suggest a Burton On Trent for common Pale Ales. Then you put your water in. Then it calculates the stuff you need.

The sulfate level in that water is surprisingly high. In addition, the alkalinity of that water is not 81 ppm. Non-carbonate hardness is also known as Permanent Hardness. Total Hardness - Permanent Hardness = Temporary Hardness (alkalinity). Alkalinity is more like 54 ppm and the bicarbonate content is probably around 65 ppm. To balance with the given ion content, the sulfate level is probably slightly lower than stated in the report (maybe 75 ppm) or other ion levels are in error.

Some of that water information mentioned above is a good start and some of it is garbage. Better information is available from Bru'n Water.

Back