over sanitized with iodophor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowriderdog37

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch in about 6 months the other day, a rye ale. I couldn't remember how much iodophor to use for a non-rinse solution so I used 2 cap fulls (what I remember using) in my 7.5 gal fermenter. I pitched (Muntons Premium Gold Ale) and nothing happened. I got another packet of yeast and pitched again, but no change in the last day. I am thinking that I killed it off by using too much idophor. What do you think?

As long as you emptied it out, that shouldn't affect fermentation, since it would get so diluted. Fermentation can take 72 hours to start. Did you wait long enough, have you checked with your hydrometer to see if anything is happening?

I waited a week the first time. I pitched the second time about 70 hours ago. My fermentor has been held steady at 68 deg the whole time. Unfortunately, I don't have a hygrometer tube, so I haven't been using it. I did pass an iodine test before the boil, so I am pretty confident about that.

How are you determining that nothing is happening? It could be that your fermenter doesn't have a good seal, and is leaking the co2 out. Did you peek inside? Is there a kreusen forming yet? If you don't have a hydrometer to test it, then it will make it hard to know if its fermenting or not. What are the temps on the fermenter as well? Is it too hot or too cold?

68* on the fermentor and in the fridge it's in. I thought about the leaky seal, and checked it. Didn't find anything wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not there. I am using a plastic conical fermentor, so I can't see in it. I am making a new batch this weekend (lager), and need the fridge, so I will yank the ale out and see if I was just fooled.

Oh yeah, and I have determined that nothing is happening because the airlock hasn't released a bubble yet that I have seen.

Back