Higher quality picnic tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brevity

Reaction score
I discovered that my brand new picnic tap is very touchy and will spray beer with the slightest pressure on the handle. Not to mention, when I set my keg pressure to anything above 15 psi I'll come back to a nice beer puddle a couple hours later. I know that I can reassemble it, or buy a replacement but since I'll be using these for a while, are there quality built picnic taps available? My searches have yielded nothing.

Never seen anything other than the cheap [crappy] picnic taps. If you want something better, then step up to a Perlick faucet and install it. I did shortly after I started kegging and don't regret it for an instant. Perlick faucets are 1000000x better than the picnic taps.

Never seen anything other than the cheap [crappy] picnic taps. If you want something better, then step up to a Perlick faucet and install it. I did shortly after I started kegging and don't regret it for an instant. Perlick faucets are 1000000x better than the picnic taps.

I'd love to but wouldn't this require drilling holes into a fridge or collar of some sort? Right now that isn't an option. Are there any other mounting options for those things?

Someone did a temp mount, inside a fridge using wood to hold it. I don't have the link handy, so you'll have to hunt for it.

I simply drilled the door for my brew fridge (it's dedicated for kegs and hops).
2012-10-18_18-45-41_946-57687.jpg

It's not as difficult as you may think...
current_taps-57563.jpg

4888-4400.jpg

I have seen guys attach a regular faucet to a short piece of board like a 1x4 and just leave it in the fridge or hang it from a shelf.

they make adaptors for regular taps (perlick, etc) to fit right onto corny kegs, like this

http://www.beer-wine.com/products/faucet-chrome

NOT a good idea when you have the keg on pressure for carbonating and serving. Chances of getting tons of foam is virtually a sure thing. Those are typically used on already carbonated kegs, that have the pressure released on, and then charged with one of the pocket chargers (or with very low CO2 pressure levels).

I wouldn't use those for anything more than a party where you have the already carbonated keg, where you're only going to feed it a few psi to keep the beer flowing out.

Back