little help with this wheat beer recipe......?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheaYaAt

Reaction score
i'm trying to come up with my next batch. i saw this one on a website and the original recipe is with strawberries, well i was going to substitute that with fig and raisin. tell me what you might change if you don't mind, or even if you think it would work? the procedure was something new to me?????? thanks for the love ! oh yeah and it's a 2.5 gallon batch.

2 lbs bavarian wheat DME
1 lb extra light DME
1/2 lb crystal malt

(i thought about roasting some pistachios, maybe like 1lb)

1 oz Tettnangers
4 lbs dried figs
1 lb raisins
1/2 lb honey

1 tsp Irish moss
safale yeast

Procedure:
Boil the honey, an 1/2 of the hops, & the Irish moss in some water 15 minutes. Add Morgan's kit malt and bring back to a boil. Add fruit. Lower heat. Steep at 150 degrees 20 minutes with the second half of the hops.

That's it! Toss in some cold water & yeast and let 'er go.

After 4 days, rack off into a secondary fermenter, leaving the fruit behind in the primary.

correction :

Procedure:
Boil the honey, an 1/2 of the hops, & the Irish moss in some water 15 minutes. Add DME and bring back to a boil. Add fruit. Lower heat. Steep at 150 degrees 20 minutes with the second half of the hops.

I just used honey in my wheat beer. I feel that it totally dried it out and left no honey flavor. I used two pounds though so you might be better off with your .5lbs.

No need to boil the honey.
Why does it have you steeping crystal malt at the end?

I'd steep the crystal malt in 1.5q water for 30 mins at 150, then remove grain bag. add 2q of water and DME (I don't do late addition), then bring to boil, add first hop addition. 40-50 minutes later, add 2nd hop addition. Add irish moss 50 minutes in to boil (I probably wouldn't use it though since this is a wheat). After its been boiling 60 minutes, remove from heat, add honey, add fruit.

Yeah you can go ahead and put the fruit in secondary. I'd do it that way. Boiled fruit just sounds yucky, and I think that will give you haze problems.

I just used honey in my wheat beer. I feel that it totally dried it out and left no honey flavor. I used two pounds though so you might be better off with your .5lbs.

I wouldnt boil the honey otherwise ull get same results as this^ I dont have any personal experience but a honey wheat is what my next brew is ganna be and I've been doing a lot of research on it the honey added early on will dry out the malt making the brew bitter also you have to keep in mind honey is 100% fermentable so once the yeast goes to work u wont have much honey left I've read recommendations of using Honey Malt to impart honey flavor as well as adding the honey later in the process possibly even during bottling If anyone has more experience with this or anything Ive said is false I'd appreciate the criticism it will help me with my next brew as well

Back