Malt Madness - Lehigh Valley Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

Malt Madness - Lehigh Valley Homebrewers - September 6th, 2008
Entries will be accepted from 08/11/2008 through 08/22/2008

Looking for an official critique, but I always think that my next batch will be better so put it off. With the submission date approaching for this event, this may be a good time to give it a try. Two questions:

One of the rules states bottles “…must be free of…raised glass designs, etched logos…” I have a beer bottled in what I think are Hoegaarden bottles. They are the 12 oz bottles with a small amount of raised lettering toward the base and a small raised picture on the neck that is slightly bulged compared to standard bottles. It sounds like this would be grounds for disqualifications. Anyone have experience with these bottles?

The other thing is picking the correct category. I am calling this an ESB, but that’s just a semi educated guess. Does it sound correct?

Befuggled
3.5 gallon Batch
OG 1.055
FG 1.011
5.7% ABV
13 SRM
37 IBU

5.10 lbs Belgian Pale Malt - Dingeman’s
.40 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt - Dingeman’s
.40 lbs Crystal 20L – Briess
.10 lbs Chocolate Wheat – Weyermann
.9 oz Fuggles Hops – Alpha 4.50% - FWH
.5 oz Fuggles Hops – Alpha 4.50% - 15 min
.5 oz Fuggles Hops – Alpha 4.50% - 5 min
.5 oz Fuggles Hops – Alpha 4.50% - Dry Hop
Wyeast 1335 Briitish Ale II

Looking at the bjcp guidelines, you seem to be hitting the numbers..how does it compare to the sensory eval criteria?
That's my problem. I don't have the experience or confidence to decide. I was hoping that someone would be able to determine the proper style from the hops and grain bill, but that’s probably hard to do.

I may have gotten a better response if I had titled this something like Competition Questions.

Nothing really sticks out as out of style to me cept that hop schedule could be a bit off from the bitterness/aroma/flavor perspective...with out experiencing your beer, it's kinda hard to say.

Didja enter it?
I've had so much crazy stuff going on 'round the house that it completely slipped my mind.
I would love to have entered this. Not enough time...
I brought over two entries on the 16th. One was a Wit, the other the ESB from the original post. An email from the competition did tell me that the raised lettering on the ESB bottles would not be good. I was heading out to Keystone, so I did a rather sloppy job of bottling a couple from a keg. It will probably be pretty oxidized or flat by the time it’s judged. Just hoping they like my Witbier.

This will be my first competition. Even with low expectations for the ESB, I’m still pretty anxious.

Good luck!:rockin:
Thanks for sending that luck my way. Just took a look at the results on-line and that "bottled from the keg" ESB that I thought would have all kinds of problems got 3rd in class out of 20 entries. I’ve been pleased with most of my brews, but can’t shake the feeling that it might just be the way a parent always thinks that their kid is perfect. Feels good to know that my beer might actually be good stuff. Even SWMBO was impressed. I entered this ESB because it's always been her favorite. So far I've brewed three batches to keep her happy.

Back