OFF with their heads!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
It's been really cold this summer. Except for a handful of days, the morning temperatures have been around 40F. Had snow in mid-June. So, the hops are struggling. A couple of them haven't hit the top of the trellis and even the Cascade is straggly.

Naturally, I decided to help them along by cutting the bines off at the top of the trellis. Either this will put the energy into sidearm production or not make any difference at all. There are cones forming on some of the bines, but not many. Very pathetic for Year 3.

Was reading "Western Gardening" and discovered I wasn't in Zone 5, like most of the Willamette Valley. I'm in Zone 1: "Freezing weather possible on any day of the year." 100 years ago, it was warm enough for my neighbor's grandfather to be a major hop grower.

Was reading "Western Gardening" and discovered I wasn't in Zone 5, like most of the Willamette Valley. I'm in Zone 1: "Freezing weather possible on any day of the year." 100 years ago, it was warm enough for my neighbor's grandfather to be a major hop grower.

Ohhhh NOOOOOO. Alert AL, we have Global Cooling!!!!

Dang, 40F in the morning this time of year? That's certainly not very conducive to growing healthy hops.

Back