The Complete Joy......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
I have been brewing extract kits for about 2 years now (20 or so under my belt).
The folks on this site are always very helpful and there knowledge is varied and great.

One suggestion that I have for new brewers is to pick up copy of "THE COMPLETE JOY OF HOMEBREWING", By Charlie Papazian. This book has become a brewing bible for me and countless others. I still refer back to this book nearly everytime I brew, searching deeper and looking for ways to expand my techniques.

I just thought that suggesting that you own this book, if you don't already, kind of eases doubt and anxiety. Plus, Charlie constantly reminds you; "RELAX, DON'T WORRY, HAVE A HOMEBREW!"

This book and Palmer's "How to Brew" where the first to books I bought and read. They truly are a wealth of knowledge!

Don't regret reading them at all, well unless of course you look at the fact that they pretty much helped transform this peaceful little hobby into an obsession! :drunk:

Charlie's "Complete Joy" is still a great read. Much of the information has become dated, but I still recommend it as one book among many every serious brewer should read early in brewing, or even before one starts brewing. I read it before I started, and I'm glad I did. If nothing else, it gets that "Relax" attitude across, which is the most imporant, yet underappreciated, lesson any brewer can learn.

TL

TexLaw said:
It gets that "Relax" attitude across, which is the most imporant, yet underappreciated, lesson any brewer can learn.
+1.

So, so true. There's a lot of great stuff in the book, but I think that's the best bit.

do newer editions have an index? my dad has an old copy and its a pain to look up info on the fly because there is no index.

I read TCJOHB first, then How to Brew, and now I've just started Designing Great Beers.

More info, need more info!! :rockin:

Poppy360 said:
I read TCJOHB first, then How to Brew, and now I've just started Designing Great Beers.

More info, need more info!! :rockin:

sounds like me.

I about half way through How To Brew, TCJOHB is next and DGB is following that one..lol

I've never purchased so many books at one time. Hell, I can't even remember the last time I read a book. I owe it all to beer..lol:mug:

My SWMBO used to say she wished I read more books. So now I read and she still makes fun cause they're beer books. She says they're not real books!?

She just jealous her books aren't as cool as mine. :mug:

i've read:
How to Brew
Clone Brews and Beer Captured (yes, i read both books in their entirety :D)
Brew Chem 101
and Radical Brewing

i'm currently reading "Designing Great Beers"...it's quite the read! they should have a class on this book!

my fav was Radical Brewing, that book was the bomb. very informative, yes, but just a wonderful book in general. history, recipes, science, art...it was tits.

Poppy360 said:
My SWMBO used to say she wished I read more books. So now I read and she still makes fun cause they're beer books. She says they're not real books!?

She just jealous her books aren't as cool as mine. :mug:

Radical Brewing is a "real book" IMNSHO ;)

I agree that Radical Brewing is the best damn brewing and beer book to hit the shelves in a long time. On top of that, Randy Mosher is about a hundred times as cool as his book.

Y'all also ought to check out Noonan's New Brewing Lager Beer when you can. It gets quite technical, but there is a lot of great information in there that applies to all brewing (i.e., not just lagers). The Classic Beer Style series also is nearly impossible to beat when you want to start drilling down on a particular style, or even just a particular ingredient or process that may characterize a style.

TL

I have both of Charlies

thenewcompletejoy_000.gif

Joy_Of_Home_Brewing_135x204.jpg

I just picked up another Charlie book to go with The Complete Joy - "The Homebrewer's Companion" on ebay for $8 shipped to my house. From what I read about it prior to purchase it goes a little deeper than TCJ - like I understand all of that one already. It's going with me on a three night Bahamas cruise today. It'll give me something to "read" while I'm by the pool.

Back