Hefeweizen Brew Day w/ 2-Barrel (Brutus 20) CRDFM process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil' Sparky

Cowboys EAC
Reaction score
I tried out the Brutus 20 2-barrel Constant Recirculation Direct Fired Mash (CRDFM) process today, took some pics, and thought I'd share. I opened this thread in the AG forum for discussion about the process.

Let's start with Ingredients (7# red wheat, 5# pilsner, 1 oz Hallertau, Safbrew WB-06 yeast)

Using my 3-tier stand, but only 2 vessels

Doughed in

Hit the protein rest right on

Recirculating while raising the temp from 122' to 154'

DSCN2781.JPG

Keeping the flame low

Recirculating wort. The sparge arm is submerged.

Made it to the saccrification rest

The boil kettle starts out with the sparge water. This is heated to 170' or so. The wort drains (or is pumped) from the MLT into here. This pic was taken just as I opened the drain on the MLT.

Recirculating from BK back up to the MLT

Towards the end of the recirculating sparge. You recirculate until the gravities in the MLT and BK are the same.

Boiling. Ready for hop addition.

Wow, that's an interesting mash/sparge setup. What was your efficiency like, and how did it compare to your usual procedure?

resurrecting your old threads Sparky and I hope you're still around. I assume you'd have to be using a refractometer to compare gravities between the two vessels?

Latest posts

Back