What'd you get for Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
So what HBS did everyone get?

Wort chiller
digital thermometer
iodophor
$70. gift card that I plan to use to buy a 2nd brew kettle (Double brew day!!)

Oh boy... Santa was good to me...

Kenmore Elite 4.9
Complete 2 Keg conversion kit with dual regulator
2 extra corny kegs
2 Custom tap handles
Rails for the top of the kegerator
Bar sign to hang near the new kegerator
Master Brewers Guide
Cooking with beer cookbook
2 ingredient kits
25' wort chiller

Oh yeah... and a partridge in a pear tree... :)

Oriondriver

I got a milwaukee refractometer, collona bench capper, and coopers carbonation drops

10 Extract beer kits
3 glass carboys
1 more 6.5 gallon fermentor
1 hydrometer
1 Springfield M1A rifle
2 ammo cans of .308
3 ferrets playing in their 8 level cage

Beer related items were a set of six tall pilsener glasses. My sister gave me a nice six-pack sampler from Binny's Liquors which included Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, Summit Winter Ale, Rogue Mocha Porter, Three Ffloyd's Alpha King Pale Ale, Lakefront's Eastside Dark and Great Lakes' Elliot Ness Amber Lager. And money, which is always nice!

I didn't get anything hombrew related for Christmas, but I did give my family some of my Ginger Chocolate Porter, and they seemed to really like it. I also talked my cousin's husband into homebrewing, since he already has a lot of stuff he could use for it, and a lot of space to do it in. Maybe next year I'll get HBS, now that they know what kind of investment it would be for them.

I got a $50 gift certificate for the LHBS. Then today, as I was getting ready to rack my Common; I had a carboy draining upside down in the kitchen on the counter. I always have it sitting in a plastic box thingie so it won't tip over 'cept this time. As I have it upside down without the box I think "better not take a chance". Go to the garage to get the drain box and BOOM/CRASH. Sonbitch fell off and shattered everywhere :mad: . Take the gift certificate to the HBS and get a 5 and 6.5g carboy :eek: . Thankfully SWMBO wasn't home.

desertBrew said:
I got a $50 gift certificate for the LHBS. Then today, as I was getting ready to rack my Common; I had a carboy draining upside down in the kitchen on the counter. I always have it sitting in a plastic box thingie so it won't tip over 'cept this time. As I have it upside down without the box I think "better not take a chance". Go to the garage to get the drain box and BOOM/CRASH. Sonbitch fell off and shattered everywhere :mad: . Take the gift certificate to the HBS and get a 5 and 6.5g carboy :eek: . Thankfully SWMBO wasn't home.
Dang...I got a $100 gift certificate to my LHBS, so I guess I'm fixing to break three carboys. :(

El Pistolero said:
Dang...I got a $100 gift certificate to my LHBS, so I guess I'm fixing to break three carboys. :(

Really was bummed on this. Had more important toys to buy than another 5g carboy I had earlier :mad:. But, I finally got my 6.5g instead of using my 6g for my primary. However, I have never busted a hydrometer yet ;).

El Pistolero said:
Talk about the kiss of death...Clink. :( :D

That wouldnt be that big of a loss though... I rarely even take my hydrometer readings, they don't change the beer flavor any, Just a half of a beer less you'll be able to bottle :p .

Sorry to hear bout your carboys though man, that sucks.. I know from experience... cept mine had beer in it when it shattered... that really sucked :( .

As a side note. Today I went out and spent some of my Christmas funds. I picked up an 8 Gallon stainless commercial grade kettle (110 bucks at the local restaurant supply shop!), and then picked up a Red Lager Extract kit from my LHBS , brewing starts tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait to break in the new kettle!

Man, Mrs Santa (my wife) was really good to me! :cool: I got a Brupacks Mash Tun / Boiler, so I can now take those first steps to all grain. Just got to sort myself out a wort chiller. :D

I must've brewed some good beer for some good people. I got:

Unibroue (Unibroue)
La Fin du Monde (Unibroue)
Fantôme Brise-BonBons (Brasserie Fantôme)
Midas Touch (Dogfish)
Pangea (Dogfish)
Lump of Coal Holiday Stout (Ridgeway)
N'Ice (Chouffe's)
Chocolate Bock (Sam Adams)
Sam's Utopias (Sam Adams).

I was in a Big Lots store today. Found a 5 gallon stainless kettle and lid for just , get this, $ 6.99. Yeah it seems a little light duty, but now I can boil two batches at a time.:)

Nothing beer related, no one knows what to get me since I just go out and buy what I want whenever I want. But my sister-in-law did give me these cool pants (like pajama bottoms) with AC/DC on them and 2 cans of Bavarian Sauerkraut!:D
You can't make these stories up.:drunk:

Nothing homebrew-related, but I did find a hydrometer at a thrift shop today for $2. (So that's my HB Christmas present for myself, I guess.) I scoured the whole shop, hoping there might be a load of carboys or something that had also been donated to the shop, but no luck. :(

Well I'm currently single so I only have family and friends to give me gifts. I asked about a month ago for a refractometer and I think they thought I was speaking some sort of weird star trek language.. so I didn't get that this year.

I did get a jet burner and will be getting a 56 quart kettle soon when I make my next trip to Vancouver.
Oh, and enough grains for a ten gallon batch. :)

Another harmonica. New guitar tuner, strings and a pedal for the guitar I own and want to learn how to play again. (Wasn't that good when I did play it and have since forgotten almost everything)

And a DVD recorder in a pear tree.

A lot of Americans don't like sauerkraut (pickled cabbage) because all they do is open a can and dump the contents into a pot, heat it up, and eat it.

All wrong.:eek: They don't know to pour it into a colander to drain, then rinse the pickling juices off.

I like it when you add fresh water (or beer!) to the pot (just enough to cover the cabbage), a teaspoon of sugar (brown sugar works too), some fennel, and a bay leaf. Then let it simmer for a while. Yummy!:D

Stuff I bought myself... some being a little early

Sanyo 4912
3 Pin Lock Cornies
5lb CO2 tank
misc fittings and cobra taps
enough ingredients to do 4 batches
3 lbs of hops, but hopsdirect sent 5lbs

Stuff I was given:
Tap-a-draft system ( I think my GF's dad wants me to bring more brew to his house)
CO2 regulator
CO2 fill since no where was open ( we did a direct xfer from his 20lb tank to mine) a little scary since we had no way to know how much was in my tank.

A shelf/rack to hold my pint glasses near the Sanyo that resides in my living room.

And I still haven't done x-mas with my family yet :cool:

Well, I haven't gotten anything brewing-related. Yet.

But, I spent Christmas day at my brother's (and his wife's) house. He has been introduced to weak domestically-produced beers, and is not really impressed. I brought a bottle of home-brewed Mead, made by a co-worker's cousin. This Mead won first place at the Az State Fair. My brother's comment took a couple of seconds, while I was watching the smile spread across his face. "I LIKE this!"

Later that day, we had a gift-exchanging. He and his wife got a 2 case set of Cobalt blue stretch Hock wine bottles, to be filled with a soon to be started wine. (Or so I thought.) They are now getting a Mead recipe. Probably blackberry. (Sis-in-law is madly in love with Cobalt blue stuff, and I like the color, too.)

From them, I managed to get a rather whopping, amazing couple of gifts. $200 Wally-World GC. $100 Fry's Electronics GC. The Fry's GC will be spent on me repairing my (and their) computers. The Wal-Mart GC will be used to buy my SS turkey fryer, and other beer-related goodies.

Other Christmas goodies, a pay raise from the LHBS, as well as my other job. Also, the VA just increased my disability benefits. 3 raises in one month!

steve

Thanks HB99. Did anyone else catch the post in there from our nice marine friend? :D Even though he's not around, he's still around. ;)

I did that's what made me look at the date...Oh and while were at it I got permission to add on to the BrewShed and have a dedicated brewery!!!!!!!!

Back