economy stainless steel kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moger777

Reaction score
I was looking around austinhomebrew.com and noticed they sell the economy pots for relatively little. Is their any disadvantage to the cheaper ones? Will they rust or something? Right now I've been using a cheap 20 dollar enamel pot and after 3 brews the enamel has already scratched and started to rust so I figure it's time for a new pot. I'm guessing the cheaper pots are probably less thick but I can live with that as long as they last and don't rust. Anyone have any experience with these pots?

thay are thin on the bottom side ,yea they are stainless but ,you want a nice thick bottom on your brew kettle ,it helps to distribute the heat better less chance of scorching ,and better confidence in your brewing ,plus aint nothing like brewing with an expensive beer kettle ,helly yea ,so go mow an extra yard or somthing and get the good one ,youll love it for years to come .

You can use a cheap pot, if you are careful and use a heat diffuser. My old pot is a SS turkey pot, and it is quite thin. I still use it on occasion for partial boils.

Also look for pots that have an encapsulated bottom (or better yet the entire pot). These will have a sandwich of SS, aluminum, SS, ala All-Clad. These are great for distributing heat over the entire bottom of the pot (and in the case of full encapsulated, the sides), gives a nice even heat.

These guys have the encapsulated pots, all the way up to 200 quarts, for relatively cheap.

http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/stockpots.html

I also bought the kitchen fantasy pots. I bought the 3 poys 40, 50, & 75 but had the 40 switched out for another 50. I think I remember paying another $50 for them delivered. I haven't used them yet but as soon as I get my infected batches fugured I will start.

sometimes on eBay you can find decently priced brew pots, complete with spigot and temp. gauge.

Hmmm, well I purchased the Bayou Classic 1036

It doesn't say anything about having aluminum sandwiched between stainless or anything, so am I gonna have issues with hot spots/scorching?

Back