Bottle bombs question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangemen5

Reaction score
I brewed a northern brewer bourbon porter ended with less water higher gravity. Expected og 1.065. My og 1.074. Danstar windsor yeast screwed me 50% attenuation ( never again) warmed fermenter , roused yeast, pitch on different yeast cake. Still have a fg of 1.033. Cant get it any lower. Is there a risk of bottle bombs if gravitas been stable for two weeks ??

New myself too but something like this happen to buddy of mine that got me started. He got away with it by setting aside a few bottles and checking them as he went in the bottle rest time which for him was two weeks so he killed 6 bottles in the name of the many he actually had to burp them at 4 days but glad he gave those 6 away to the beer gods it made Dam good beer.

Also I would give it the smell test to make sure you have no foreign yeast in there.

Is this an extract kit?

There could be a lot of things going on here, did you oxygenate the wort well? A beer that big needs it for sure. Were you able to control the temperature? Chances are if your at 1.033 after a couple weeks it's probably not going to change any.

Pitch some new yeast(starter) and let it go. With that kind of fg you are like to get extreme carbonation as a best case.

I brewed a northern brewer bourbon porter ended with less water higher gravity. Expected og 1.065. My og 1.074. Danstar windsor yeast screwed me 50% attenuation ( never again) warmed fermenter , roused yeast, pitch on different yeast cake. Still have a fg of 1.033. Cant get it any lower. Is there a risk of bottle bombs if gravitas been stable for two weeks ??

I interpret that to mean that you have not bottled yet and that you have a 1.033 wort sitting in your fermentor -- right?

Assuming so, then you still have quite a bit of sugar in there, so if you get secondary ferm activity as a result of racking (pretty common), then maybe you will get bottle bombs or it might bottle condition and carbonate just fine depending upon how much ferm activity. You might try racking a bottle or two, with no priming sugar added, and let them sit to see what happens.

That's the problem with capped bottles, its hard to evaluate how the brew is progressing without some fancier gear. You could rack some to a flip top bottle or even a soda bottle and see how it does over a week or so. This way you can bleed pressure and decide whether or not to re-pitch or rack the remaining wort.

At about 1.033, or a bit less, the resulting beer of course is going to be rather sweet.

I'm currently fermenting the NB Caribou Slobber kit with the Windsor. It seems to be hanging around 1.020. I was a little concerned so I did a bit of looking around.

From the Danstar website: "Depending on the composition of the recipe, Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density)." http://www.danstaryeast.com/products/windsor-ale-yeast

Most likely yours has just finished. If you want a lower FG use a different yeast strain. However, I am also a fairly new brewer, so maybe one of the more experienced guys can offer more help.

Back