Thermowell and digital thermometer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

builderguy

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm not happy with the performance of the dial thermometers so I'm wondering if I can install a thermowell in my HLT where the thermometer is now and use a more accurate digital thermometer just inserted into that thermowell?

Any input would be great as my current dial thermometer is broken (dial fell off) and I need to decide what to replace it with.

Yes, you can do that. I much prefer this style fitting. Especially in the Mash Tun. You can slide the probe most of the way out for stirring and then push it back in.

Depending on what the customer is ordering, we use Thermistors, RTDs and Thermocouples. We buy thermistors for BCS controllers from BrewersHardware. They make a 1/4" diameter probe and their work is top notch. For PIDs we prefer RTDs because of their accuracy. Whatever you buy, make sure it has a 1/4" diameter probe.

Yes, you can do that. I much prefer this style fitting. Especially in the Mash Tun. You can slide the probe most of the way out for stirring and then push it back in.

I'm guessing you have used it during the mash like this before? The site warns to not make depth adjustments while hot liquid is in there, does that mean it is prone to leaking while you do that or have you had no issues?

I don't have any type of digital read out now. If I just want to monitor temp (not control) what should I get...including probe and everything?

The display end will require loose wires that will be screwed to terminals. This is the instruction manual.
You an also contact us and have us assemble one for you complete with a box at a reasonable cost.

Back