Olive garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RelentlessJ

Reaction score
Since when is that premium. Just sayin.

image-2164378288.jpg

Lol I use to bartend at an Olive Garden. They have some odd idea's of what constitutes premium.

It's just their way of making you feel special...like when they come out clapping and singing on somebodies birthday...or when you order a premium chicken sandwich at McDonalds...it's not premium but it'll make you feel better about ordering it. F*** I'm eating McDonalds again? Oh well...at least it's premium.

well it is not Bush, Natty lite or Old Milwaukee, so yes they could be considered premium in that context.

I wouldn't even think to look at the beer list at Olive Garden or any other chain restaurant. Now, most smaller restaurants, at least in my part of Virginia, have some sort of craft beer offerings.

A4J said:
at least they didn't call it "imported"

Gotta love the inevitable argument over what constitutes a "domestic" beer at happy hour. "It's brewed in this town. How much more freaking domestic can you get?"

It's just their way of making you feel special...like when they come out clapping and singing on somebodies birthday...or when you order a premium chicken sandwich at McDonalds...it's not premium but it'll make you feel better about ordering it. F*** I'm eating McDonalds again? Oh well...at least it's premium.

Yeah that and they need to somehow explain the ridiculous price of said beer. "D*mn a pint is how much....oh it's premium well gee I feel better then."

That's kind of like saying Olive Garden is real Italian food...

Hey, just because it's frozen and boiled in bags doesn't mean that some bread sticks dipped in alfredo sauce isn't awesome.

...just not at their prices.

As far as Italian food goes, Carabba's is actually pretty good, but Olive Garden is a farce. My qualifications for making this statement are 33 years of sunday dinners with my Sicilian mother and grandmothers. :D

A premium chicken sandwich is superior to pretty much anything Olive Garden serves up these days. Used to love the place, but the quality and service has gone WAY downhill over the last 10 years or so.

at bowling the week of christmas they buy you a "domestic" draft. After asking the bartender what exactly that meant she tells us to her it means you get what you usually drink. Gotta like that!

not to be rude....

But not only does this thread bash BMC (beer snobbery)
But it also bashes Olive Garden (food snobbery)

Why do we have to hate?

I've always considered Olive Garden to being Italian food as Taco Bell being Mexican food.

beerloaf

I don't see what's wrong with being truthful about things that are awful. Next you're going to tell me that I'm a music snob because I say Nickelback is garbage.

I love good food and I love good beer, I don't consider myself a beer snob or food snob. I'll drink Bud Light, but I don't consider it a premium beer. I will avoid going to Olive Garden if at all possible. Maybe it's better now, but it used to be bad. Just bad. And I don't want to go back.

not to be rude....

Why do we have to hate?

I don't see this thread as bashing BMC. The OP was simply pointing out how the word premium is a bit of a stretch. Sure, BMC uses the most difficult type of mash, their consistency is amazing and their slash and burn business model makes them a giant. But slapping the word premium on something doesn't necessarily make it premium. Just like calling og's food Italian is a stretch. Like they say "You can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig" . Not hatng, just telling the truth.

The obvious follow-up question is:

"If those beers are premium then what are their regular beers?"

not to be rude....

Why do we have to hate?

I agree with your sentiment. This thread is an example of an interesting mentality that somehow based on the fact that you have had a better product (of course, in your opinion), you are somehow a better person than someone who may just enjoy (even slightly enjoy) something that you deem inferior. Next, we can bring up coffee and we'll have the trifecta.

I grew up in a household with an Italian step father, who happened to be formally and informally trained in culinary arts. He was extremely hateful regarding others' Italian food. It becomes old after a while, and only lead to people disliking him because he was such a prick about food. I also have learned to laugh at the word "authentic", since I've had so many variations of "authentic". Additionaly, my "Uncle Anthony" makes some "Authentic Italian Sausage" that smells like Alpo and doesn't taste much better and everyone raves about it, because "it's just like the old country". :) Especially funny, since only 1 or 2 out of the massive family have actually been to Sicily or Italy.

Its interesting, my wife enjoys the chain restaurants, including Olive Garden. I prefer the locally owned restaurants. I can enjoy the food at either, I just like the experience, the ambience, and the localness.

On a recent trip, I wanted to order a beer with dinner at a "chain" restaurant...but all they had on tap was BMC brews. I ended up with a bottle of Michelob Amber Bock which was OK. But...the "chain" restaurant business is not going to bring in beers that are relatively unknown to the customers. That move, in the eyes of "the corporation," would be counter-productive. It's just the way things are done.

glenn514:mug:

I grew up in a household with an Italian step father, who happened to be formally and informally trained in culinary arts. He was extremely hateful regarding others' Italian food.

There's a difference between being hateful and just merely pointing out that a certain place does not truly represent that which they say they are producing.

I'm hardly against chain Italian places. Macaroni Grill has some dishes that I'd call representative of good Italian. Carabba's is actually very good in my opinion. My wife and I have chosen Carrabba's a few times over the multitude of ridiculosuly perfect Italian food I can get here in Staten Island, not to mention that we make ourselves or have with family.

But Olive Garden does not even approach being representative of Italian cuisine. A snob calls out an entire product, ie ALL American Lagers, or ALL chain restaurants, etc. When someone calls out one example of a particular product, they are merely expressing an opinion on that particular place.

I find that alot of the "Chain" restuarants around here have a craft section on there menu with 8-10 beers on them, but only ever have sam adams or occasionally newcastle in the restuarant. I try to go to the local chain restuarant that has Great Lakes - Eliot Ness available.

Latest posts

Back