Failed Cork

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retty

Reaction score
So today I grabbed a bunch of my filled bottles to put on labels, and I encountered a big issue with one. The cork failed and there was a little thick liquid on top.

I guess my question here is do I need to throw out the bottle? the batch was brewed 5/13/2011 so it's not old either. I'm a little disappointed but I can't do much about it.

Do you guys encounter this problem much? and if so how do you avoid it? I'm using soft corks, and I was told I can't use the stronger ones because I needed a more expensive press for bottling. Issue could also be the corker I used... It seemed to cork unevenly.

Does anyone on here use wax while corking too?

Ive not had it myself yet, but some one else asked this before. So I will pass on that response!
Apparently you should leave your bottles upright for a couple of days to let the pressure equalise before putting them on their side. Otherwise it will force some liquid through with the air. Though apparently it shouldn't cause any problems either. Maybe just drink that one first!

Thanks for the help, I'll leave them upright 2 days ahead of time from now on.

Back