zymico thermothingy problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
i need to know if anyine knows anything about these things i cant find a thermometer that is long enough and well im going crazey please help. im trying to put thermometers on my coolers so far its looking bleek and im looking crazey:drunk:

Well I have 3 Thermothingys. I use a turkey fryer thermometer (3/16's thick) in my brew pot the thingy also has a site glass. The thermometer sticks in all the way to the middle of the keg and can take temperature up past boiling.

On my Mash tun 48 qt cooler I actually used the Kewler thingy (no site glass), however the cooler thickness gap is way smaller then the middle nipple part so I put in 5 SS washers on each side. I had problems not with length of the thermometer on the Mash tun but the thickness of the thermometer shaft and I didn't want to use a turkey thermometer on this application. So I found a thermometer at Walmart that protrudes about 2 inches into the cooler and the temp range is 130 - 190 degrees, well within the sparging water temps. So, I threw away the little washer that comes with the rig and drilled out a number 6 threaded nut so the therm shaft fit thru then I added the o-rings and clamped the outside gland nut to make it water tight.

On my Sparge tank I used another thermothingy with site glass and modded it like the mash tun.

I can show pics if you want to see what I'm talking about...

Good Luck

Bob :ban:

that would be great. i have the thermosight and thingy installed just need the right thermometers

Back