AG Equipment Tun Size Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So what size cooler to get for my first DIY Project as it relates to beer and start my first attempt at Full AG brewing.

5 Gallon or 10 Gallon Cylinder Cooler? (Think I want the Cylinder)

Rectangle? Square? Cylinder? (But open to suggestions)

:rockin:

If you are ever going to make a somewhat strong beer or a bigger batch you will want the 10 gallon one

I am at the same point in time as the original poster. Just about ready to buy a 10 gallon cooler.

Is there any advantage in using a taller cylindrical cooler versus a rectangular cooler or vice versa?

If you plan on fly sparging, I think it is best to go for the cylindrical cooler. I have only batch sparged myself in my rectangular cooler MLT. I hit at least 75% every time and am perfectly happy with that.

The one thing I will say is that it might be worth the extra investment for those Coleman extreme line with extra insulation. Mine is a cheaper ($19) Coleman and it loses 1-3 degrees over an hour, even after adding some foam to the lid.

The one thing I will say is that it might be worth the extra investment for those Coleman extreme line with extra insulation. Mine is a cheaper ($19) Coleman and it loses 1-3 degrees over an hour, even after adding some foam to the lid.

Is that the Orange Drink cooler?

(Oopps...that is the Rubbermaid one. Guessing the Coleman is the tall square Blue one?)

I have used the blue igloo cube - 10gallons... I added insulation to the lid and cover it with blankets. 3 brews so far with it. The first one held temp for the whole hour - that is on a moderate temp day. I just did two batches end of February and the temp in the garage was about 50-55 and I lost 3 degrees over an hour with a sleeping bag draped over top to try and stop heat loss.

I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler w/no extra insulation and it only dropped 5 degrees over a 90 minute period (I opened it 2 times to mix). In the cold winters I'm thinking of getting some hot water heater insulation and wrapping it.

Back