Gellatin Fining w/Dry Hopping and Cold Crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBenn

Reaction score
I've been reading alot of old threads on both cold crashing and gelatin fining.

First, my garage is not that cold (45 degrees) and outside freezes (25 degrees). So it must be done in the garage, technically not really "cold crashing", I suppose, but...

I'm ready to dry hop my beer. I know some dry hop while cold crashing. But can one do all three? Put hops in at the same time as putting the carboy in a colder environment. (45 degrees, in my case). Then, after 5 days, add the gelatin. Keg a couple of days later.

Anybody done a schedule something like this? Worked? Didn't work?

Rich

In my opinion, dryhopping is temperature dependent. About 5-7 days at a temperature of mid-60s gives good flavor and aroma. I've dryhopped in the keg, at 40 degrees, and while it never turned "grassy", it took longer to get the aroma and flavor I wanted.

I'd dry hop first, then rack and cold crash. Then add gelatin. I've never used gelatin, since the beer is already clear by that point. But if I was going to, that's when I'd do it.

In my opinion, dryhopping is temperature dependent. About 5-7 days at a temperature of mid-60s gives good flavor and aroma. I've dryhopped in the keg, at 40 degrees, and while it never turned "grassy", it took longer to get the aroma and flavor I wanted.

I'd dry hop first, then rack and cold crash. Then add gelatin. I've never used gelatin, since the beer is already clear by that point. But if I was going to, that's when I'd do it.

Interesting. Others have stated that just as much aromatics came off dry hopping at cold temps as at room temp, although that goes against reason, IMHO.

I am not planning on racking before clearing. I read somewhere that just pouring the gelatin solution on top works just fine. We'll see. Normally I don't use it, but I pulled alot more junk out of the boil kettle than usual on this IPA, and am hoping that's the key for clearing. But maybe I should just leave it in the cold longer before bottling.

Interesting. Others have stated that just as much aromatics came off dry hopping at cold temps as at room temp, although that goes against reason, IMHO.

I am not planning on racking before clearing. I read somewhere that just pouring the gelatin solution on top works just fine. We'll see. Normally I don't use it, but I pulled alot more junk out of the boil kettle than usual on this IPA, and am hoping that's the key for clearing. But maybe I should just leave it in the cold longer before bottling.

I will be able to comment on the cold dry hop soon. I dry hopped for 12 days around 55 degrees and is currently crash cooling. I am hoping enough hop goodness is in there. I also tossed some gelatin in last night and is the first time I have done that too.

Latest posts

Back