Hop resin "hash" for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimBrewz

Reaction score
I just finished drying the first 1/2 of my hop harvest(2 lbs dried Cascade and Tettnenger), and discovered quite a bit of hop resin on the bottom of my drying box. I had been gently shaking and moving the hops around for about 3 days which shook off the resins.

So, I am wondering if I can add the resin to the secondary for dry hopping? I assume it will work well since it is the resin that contains the aroma compounds, right? Sort of like a hop extract. Are there any reasons why I should not try this?

Thanks, Tim

That pollen/resin packs a punch. I had a bunch in the first pull off the tap of my IIPA and good lord that first pull was hoppy ... and cloudy ... and tasty. Why not? toss it in secondary or in the primary after fermentation is done. Should settle out, seems like the stuff sinks easily.

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe try a tea or something to get an idea of what it will be like?

Back