Sam Adams Utopias

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious myself. I've smelled an empty bottle before that smelled pretty crazy.

I'd like to add DFH 120 min IPA to the list (sorry to hijack...)
What about that one?

I'm curious myself. I've smelled an empty bottle before that smelled pretty crazy.

I'd like to add DFH 120 min IPA to the list (sorry to hijack...)
What about that one?

Thanks for reminding me about my DFH 120...

I got a couple bottles a few months ago but havn't opened one yet. I feel its hard to devote a evening to one beer.

Having received a bottle as a gift last year I will say it was totally worth the price. If I paid for it myself I may have a different opinion on that ;)

I really like the DFH 120 but some people hate it. To me I think it is worth it once or twice a year. Its not that expensive. Around here it is 8 for a 12oz bottle.

I'd pay $150 for Utopias if I could find it. It's not exactly the kind of beer you drink in one sitting... more like a good (ok, GREAT) scotch to sip on and enjoy over the course of a few years.

I've had both. The Utopia would be worth it if you had some buddies chip in. For yourself?....Nah...I can spend 150 dollars on something else easy.... As far as the DFH 120.... all hype. I found the stuff undrinkable...in fact one of two beers I've ever poured out after choking down about a quarter of the glass.

I've had both. The Utopia would be worth it if you had some buddies chip in. For yourself?....Nah...I can spend 150 dollars on something else easy.... As far as the DFH 120.... all hype. I found the stuff undrinkable...in fact one of two beers I've ever poured out after choking down about a quarter of the glass.

me too.Utopias is really good if your into beer and whiskey.DFH 120...nasty sweet crap.I could/will drink it.but I'm not about to spend $10 a bottle for it.

I had it with a friend, he bought a bottle for $180 (they marked it up). All I can say is, I want to find anything that has the flavor of this!
I am not a beer person. I can drink a few, but I have never found a beer that I look forward to having. This beer was amazing. it had a hint of maple syrup in it. It is not something you would drink a big swig of, just sip it. I had maybe a couple shots worth of it, and it lasted probably an hour, all of us sharing and sipping. Afterwards I bought cognac and brandy, gave those away. Not even in the same league. I will try a few meads now to see if I can find anything that can compare.

If anyone finds something that tastes similar, please send a pm. Once in awhile, yes I will buy this if I cannot find anything similar.

A coworker of mine gave me the rest of his. He received it as a gift and had no clue what it was and really didn't like it.

It was a lot different than what I was expecting and remined me mostly of the strange similarities between scotch/bourbon/whiskey and beer.

Back