Mouse in My Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatoBaggins

Reaction score
Two months ago I made my first beer in about 14 years, a nut brown ale. Fourteen years ago I had 13 batches under my belt. I had made some really, really good beers, so I thought I knew what I was doing. Well, I forgot a few things over the years and made quite a few mistakes, and every one of them had me worrying if my beer would turn out OK. And you know what? It turned out just fine. So relax, don’t worry, have a home brew!

Here are some of the goofs:

1. I forgot that my steeping grains needed to be cracked before steeping. At the last minute I used a mortar and pestle to half-heartedly crack the black patent and crystal malts. I think I got about half of them cracked.
2. I forgot that steeping grains get “steeped.” I boiled them for the entire 60 minutes. Then I squeezed the grain bag to make sure I got all of the grainy goodness.
3. While I was cleaning out my 14 year old carboy, I realized that the gray fluffy stuff that was coming out was mouse fur. This happened as I was demonstrating to my wife how my faucet mounted carboy sprayer worked. The mouse’s mummified corpse then got stuck in the mouth, and I had to pull in out clandestinely. (I would have never been able to get her to drink any of it if she knew.)
4. I discovered a few days after my beer had been in the carboy that the A+ no rinse cleaner I used to sanitize my carboy was NOT a sanitizer. (Imagine the worry at this point.)
5. I knocked the airlock off several times.
6. I used isopropyl alcohol in the airlock.
7. I forgot what krauzen looked like and imagined all kinds of filth in the bubbles because of the mouse and no sanitizer. I almost tossed it all several times.
8. The beer stalled at 1.022. Estimated FG was 1.013. I put in yeast energizer and agitated.
9. A couple of days later I checked again and it was 1.020. I forgot what the pervious reading was and bottled it thinking the reading hadn’t changed. I discovered this mistake a few days after bottling when I decided to reread my notes. I expected bottle bombs at any time.
10. After a week in the bottle - flat. (Fears of bottle bombs alleviated, but now new fears)
11. After two weeks in the bottle - flat. (Worried tannins had done me in.)
12. After three weeks in the bottle - slight carbonation. (Hope)
13. After 5 weeks in the bottle - carbonated and pretty tasty. (Success!)

All along I've read this forum and discovered my mistakes, but I’ve had the patience to wait it out. So, after two months of trying to relax, and having a few commercial beers, I now have a nice drinkable beer, somewhere between a brown ale and a porter. Not my best effort, but not bad either.

Thanks to all those who have lived through this and worse. Reading this forum kept me from making the biggest mistake of all, tossing the beer.

PS: Don't tell my wife! ;)

Great story!
While going through my first batch, I wondered if maybe I just wasn't cut out for this because of all the anxiety.

Your post would have helped greatly!

Regards

WOW, i thought i messed up because I forgot to take the hydrometer reading. Inspiring stuff, hahahaha....

Haha, that was a fun read :)
I would have thrown alot of different chemicals in there to be sure no mummy leftovers :p
You got a nice name for that beer, tell your wife you're naming it Mousebrew

I nearly spit my beer out reading this.. Please tell me most of this was made up.. The mouse in the carboy thing got me laughing so hard I nearly pissed the beer I was drinking.. Gotta get this stinking grin off my face.. wow!! LOL!!

I nearly spit my beer out reading this.. Please tell me most of this was made up.. The mouse in the carboy thing got me laughing so hard I nearly pissed the beer I was drinking.. Gotta get this stinking grin off my face.. wow!! LOL!!

Sorry to say, none of this is made up! :eek: The only thing really wrong with the beer is the OD of tannins from broiling the steeping grains and then squeezing the bag. I can taste the tannins mostly in the aftertaste. It's not awful, but it's there.

I read somewhere that the A one step cleaner used to be classified as a sanitizer but was downgraded a few years ago. So, I was somewhat relieved when I read that.

Nice, just found a carboy with a mouse in it as well.

If I had it to do over again, I would bleach the snot out of the carboy, and then rinse, rinse, rinse. Then use Star San! ;)

Heh. Well, if there was any beer left in the carboy, at least those mice died happy! :)

Also, one of the best thread titles I've seen in a while. I had to come read your story.

^^ Def could make a great name out of this one!

When the wifey asks... just say it sounded 'cute', lol

Whats the next brew you have to do?

I have a stick in my carboys so the mice can climb their way out. Kidding... We have all been there, I had a stuck drain on the mash tun and a 12gal batch turned into a 8gal batch, floor was all sticky had to move the stove to clean the wart. Some of the guys have told story's of filling 2 glass carboys (6.5 gal) and the table broke.

I re-putposed my old,large printer stand for a fermenter stand/storage unit. But since I've had two fermenters going at once,the top has a very slight bow to it. Even though it has supports from the other shelf uprights Not bad though.
I just remembered how when I was a kid,one summer my buddy brought out a couple of RC colas. One had a dead mouse floating in the top of it.:drunk:

let me tell you a story about a mouse who fell into a carboy of cream stout. he heard stories about this happening and how 10 times out of 10, the mouse dies. but this mouse had such heart that he swam harder and harder, hoping against hope he could churn it into butter and walk out. alas, the cream stout never became butter and the mouse drowned.

There are not enough chemicals in this world for me not to have thrown that carboy away. Mouse corpse? I'll pass. You are a stronger man than I.

I agree on deep-6ing the carboy.

After my carboys are empty, I wash/sanitize and cover the top with tinfoil, then store them upside down. I am confident I will never find a mouse (dead or otherwise) in a carboy...

Thanks for getting the intended humor and for the suggested names. I had forgotten I even posted this, what five years ago now? I think I ended up calling it Mouse Nuts Brown Ale, or something like that.

I have taken a little break from brewing for the last three years. But, I have a nice Pale Ale brewing made from recipe notes from 17 years ago for an old friend I'm going to visit who is mentioned in those notes as liking the beer. And also I have an apple cider using Trappist yeast that promises to be pretty tasty, from preliminary samplings anyway. I'm back in the saddle again, and after only three years, I didn't forget everything like before! ;)

Latest posts

Back