First attempt at All Grain (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After several months of building, reading, and planning. I attempted my first all grain brew! I only had one previous extract batch under my belt. I decided to make an American Ale for my first AG batch. I added a bit more hops than the recipe called for and increased the 40L so I'd get a little more amber color. My OG was lower than I would have liked, so I may need to figure out how to increase my efficiency...

Here's my setup! Oh and in conjunction with this being my first AG batch, it was also my first attempt at kegging!

My Keg/Kettle I picked up for $40. It already had a threaded tap in the bottom for the valve!
brew1.JPG

brew2.JPG

brew3.JPG

brew4.JPG

brew5.JPG

Congrats! I like how the pen marking / price is still on the keggle. :D I did my first AG last week after only 3 extract brews. I also had efficiency problems amongst other issues. Keep trolling on this site and you'll find good tips on how to increase your efficiency. Good call on getting into kegging, those bottles are such a PITA to deal with.

+1 on the slots in the manifold... that could cost you a lil eff. there.

Couple things...

How did you get the pictures to show? I used the "[ img]url[/img ]" and it just made a link...

Second. Thanks for the tip on the manifold, I'll try down and see how it improves!

I've already done an oatmeal stout since these pictures were taken. Next I think I'll try some sort of a lemon lager or chocolate stout.

I'd like to get to the point where I can ferment ~7 gallons and bottle 2 / keg 5. That way I can keep a small supply in bottles for what ever.

I'd like to get to the point where I can ferment ~7 gallons and bottle 2 / keg 5. That way I can keep a small supply in bottles for what ever.

I would get a beer gun, that way you can keg and transfer to bottles. :rockin:

A keggle for $40? I'm jealous. I dropped close to $200 for a 32 qt pot with a ball lock and thermometer and the guy had a nice wort chiller too with no shipping.

i have both a keg mash tun and a 58 qt igloo rectangular mash tun. on my cooler tun, i have the slots facing down, and i picked up about 2 points and a quart or so efficiency when i soldered a copper manifold and threw away my cpvc manifold which had the slots up

Back