tastes like sugary tea . . .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothpix

Reaction score
This is my first post and I'm glad to have found this forum. I'm new to brewing Kombucha, but I have done 4 or 5 very successful rounds and it's been great. This last time, I'm not sure what I did differently, but my Kombucha is just not getting to that delicious, lightly acidic flavor.

I am brewing in two half gallon jars and one gallon jar and tomorrow it will be three weeks, and it still tastes like sugary tea water. The scobies are all looking fine, as far as my novice eyes can tell. Doesn't taste bad, just not like the last few times.

It is possible that I put more sugar in this last time around, though I'm not sure how much . . . I got a little confident and less scientific when it went so well the first few times.

Any ideas of why this could be? Should I just keep on waiting? Would it help to remove the scoby and move it along to the closed-lid second fermentation process?

I would just let it continue fermenting. Has there been a temp change by chance? Have you checked pH?
I will get some pH strips from the hardware store and report back about that. The temperature has been gotten up into the upper eighties a few days lately here in western mass, but I didn't think that was high enough to affect the process.

I will get some pH strips from the hardware store and report back about that. The temperature has been gotten up into the upper eighties a few days lately here in western mass, but I didn't think that was high enough to affect the process.

How does the outside temp affect your brew - you're not fermenting this outdoors, are you?

Latest posts

Back