Sanitizing question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cranios

Reaction score
Im a newbie with a newbie question: I'm planning to use C-brite at least to start with, to sanitize with. However since it requires a rinse-off after sanitizing with it, what keeps the water I would rinse down with (tap water from a well) from introducing harmful bacteria back onto my equipment? Doesn't the rinse-off defeat the purpose of sanitizing? Or am I missing something?

If I'm not mistaken, C-brite has a no-rinse dilution ratio but you need to let it air dry before racking.

If you want to rinse it, you can use boiled or bottled water. I wouldn't rinse with water straight from the tap.

IMO, Star San is a great investment since it's no rinse with a sanitizing contact time of 30 seconds. Consider switching and I think you'll be pleased.

I've used C-Brite, Iodophor, and Star San. I like Star San and Iodophor as C-Brite has a very bleachy smell to it. Just make sure you follow the dilution ratio recommendations. But I agree with above I'd invest in Star San.

If I'm not mistaken, C-brite has a no-rinse dilution ratio but you need to let it air dry before racking.

If you want to rinse it, you can use boiled or bottled water. I wouldn't rinse with water straight from the tap.

IMO, Star San is a great investment since it's no rinse with a sanitizing contact time of 30 seconds. Consider switching and I think you'll be pleased.

I did switch, good advice, thank you!:mug:

Back