Inline filter for Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psi3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I usually have a lot of sediment after racking to my keg, as I do not rack to secondary to clear. Has anyone ever just attached a inline filter to a keg with good results? As I have a full keg of beer for tonight with a bunch of friends who are picky about yeasties in their beer, I could care less. I have thought about a simple $1 fuel filter. I also have a water filter with hose fittings I guess I could use, its kinda big to lug around and would waste some beer in the end. I thought I saw a DIY project specifically for this but can not find it. Any help would be appreciated.

That my friend is a good question. I say hook the damn thing up and give it a try. I will tell you this from someone that filters about 1/3 of my brews. A fuel filter will not do it. Unless you have very little sediment. Just for a side note. A filter will NOT clear your beer instantly.
Have fun @ the party

Pssst... Just remember, if they don't like it and don't drink it. It's just more for you!
Cheers
JJ

I try to get my kegs to the party location at least 5 hours before hand to give them time to clear out again after being moved. That's really the only way that I know of. If you filter it, let us know how it works. :mug:

My initial thought is that you would probably just end up with a glass full of foam - but what do I know? Anyone have an idea what micron filters are used in Fuel Filters? Or what type plastic they are made from? You could rig it between two kegs to clear the beer, then carb...

I was going to recommend the filtering kit from morebeer, it works great. It doesnt take long to filter between two kegs either, and is easy to backwash.

My initial thought is that you would probably just end up with a glass full of foam - but what do I know? Anyone have an idea what micron filters are used in Fuel Filters? Or what type plastic they are made from? You could rig it between two kegs to clear the beer, then carb...

fuel filter is around 10micron.

fuel filter is around 10micron.

I wouldn't use a fuel filter.....they're not food grade. You should get the coarsest canister type water filter (the clear kind with the blue top) you can find and gently fill the canister to prevent oxidation. You'll clog the hell out of plate type filters, and from what I hear, it's more trouble than it's worth.

Consider crash cooling your primary at 35F for ~3-5 days and gently racking out of it. That'll precipitate out many of the solids that cause cloudiness. Then, when you rack to the keg, you should be good to go except for the first pint being cloudy. It'll be crystal clear from that point on.:mug:

Back