Some Many Malts How Do You Do It

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
The more recipes I read the more malt varieties and combos I see. What I want to know is how do you all make these multi-malt beers with relatively low quantities of each malt and not spend a fortune on each one. Do you all have a malt library or something in your basement :confused: Just wondering how ya do it...

I buy bags of base malts that I like. Maris Otter, Munich, Vienna and regular two row on the last purchase. Buy small amounts of specialty malts at the LHBS as needed.

I don't have one at all locally! I order quite a bit from Northernbrewer.com and austinhomebrew.com. There are also some new ones coming up- one is a vendor here and it looks like he has everything I could need, and I'll give that one a try next time.

Northernbrewer.com only lets you buy stuff by the pound, though. Austinhomebrew.com lets me buy two ounces of this, four ounces of that, etc.

Still, I do have quite a supply in the basement! Anything that I use often is something I buy in quantity. I have base malt (2-row, maris otter, munich malt, vienna malt), crystal grains (40L and 60L), and then several one pound packages of carapils, caravienna, caramunich, etc. This is only practical if you have your own mill, though, and can mill what you need on brew day. I have about 5 pounds of hops in the freezer, too, so I can just grab what I need on a brew day.

What I want to know is how do you all make these multi-malt beers with relatively low quantities of each malt and not spend a fortune on each one. Do you all have a malt library or something in your basement :confused: Just wondering how ya do it...

Not in the basement, but I keep a few pounds each of most of the specialty malts I use frequently, and maybe a pound of the stuff I don't use much.

I have two decent shops nearby but, I hate having to goto HBS every time I want to berw so,

I keep large amounts of base malts on hand and anywhere from 1 to 4 pounds of each type of Specialty Malt that my HBS carries..

Back