resting WPL 001 Ca ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am fermenting my California Beach Blonde Ale for the first time w/ this yeast and I am fermenting @ 64 DEG F. So.... do ya think I should do a Diacetel (sp) Rest @ 68 for a day or so or just blow by it and rack to 2ndary and then cold condition
any thooughts?
Cheers
JJ

I really think it is a good idea if you have the ability to warm it up for 24 hours. It only adds a day or so and the results, to me, are well worth it.

I love that yeast! What a work horse.

Diacetel is usually not detected until after bottling or kegging. I have never tasted diacetel in a fermenting or recently finished beer. It develops over time that is why it is a good idea to do a warm rest and not have to worry about it.

From Wikipedia-
It is produced during fermentation as a byproduct of valine synthesis. During this synthesis yeast produces α-acetolactate, which escapes the cell and is spontaneously decarboxylated into diacetyl. The yeast then absorbs the diacetyl, and reduces the ketone groups to form acetoin and 2,3-butanediol, relatively flavorless compounds.

Beer sometimes undergoes a diacetyl rest, which entails elevating temperature slightly for two or three days after fermentation is complete, to allow the yeast to absorb the diacetyl it produced earlier in the fermentation cycle.

Diacetel is usually not detected until after bottling or kegging. I have never tasted diacetel in a fermenting or recently finished beer. It develops over time that is why it is a good idea to do a warm rest and not have to worry about it.
I believe this is true for lager strains, but not necessarily for ale yeasts which are fermented at higher temperatures. The precursor to diacetyl (acetolactate) is produced very early on in fermentation, and the rate at which it oxidizes to diacetyl in the fermenting beer is related to a number of factors that vary with temperature.

However, you are correct that failure to detect diacetyl at the end of fermentation is no guarantee that the finished beer will be free of diacetyl. I retract my earlier piece of advice -- it was flawed, as you were careful to point out, B-Dub.

Regardless, Cal Ale is well known to ferment fine without off-flavours at surprisingly cool temperatures, so I would be very surprised that a fermentation at 64 F would lead to excessive diacetyl production. But as B-Dub says, a quick rest at an elevated temp. is cheap insurance if you are still concerned.

:mug:

I think a good rule of thumb is 24 hours after the FG is reached with a good population still in suspension.

Like FlyGuy said, WLP001 is a great yeast and you would be hard pressed to get to much off flavor from it.

Did I mention how much I love that yeast!

IMO- - It should be done in the primary. After all that is where all the yeast is that will prevent the butter.

Truth be told I like to bring the primary down to 33F for about a week before transfer...but most of the time I just keg it.

I have only so much time SWMBO will grant in the brewery...um..garage.

Back