Analyzing warm brew?...!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eschatz

Reaction score
Ok, I've noticed this before but had not really acted on it. I have always noticed that carbonation and the cold aspect of beer can sometimes get in the way of me REALLY tasting all of the inside flavors of a beer. So I decided to let some beer get to room temp before consuming. It was a pint of 3Floyds Pale Ale. I'm pretty sure I've always had a screw loose but I swear I could tastes all of hte malts and hops in a clarity that I can not normally taste. Someone tell me I'm crazy. I already know I'm a gambler for letting such a good beer go warm in the name of experimentation! :mug:

i often drink kegs at room temperature to see if i can spot any imperfections. one of my steam beers fermented really high and you could really taste the unpleasant estery profile at room temp.

everyone really enjoyed it when it was cold, tho ;)

You're not the only one. In the UK, beer is often served at cellar temp rather than ultra cold. Cellar temp is somewhat ambiguous - somewhere between 50°F and 60°F. 52° is cited rather often.

I usually keep my beer on the cold side (38° - 42°), but I'll often allow a beer to warm as I drink it, especially if I'm trying to evaluate it or detect subtleties in the flavor.

I have a conditioning cabinet & a kegger. Several of the taps run to the cabinet, so I can serve brews that taste better at cellar temperatures.

Many times when I'm in a brewpub, I'll order a pint of stout or porter before a meal & drink it afterwards when it has warmed up.

As opposed to that there BMC stuff where being ice cold is a source of pride! It can hide a multitude of flaws... But really with complex beers, you really don't get to experience all the flavors and aromas until it starts to warm up....Consequently any flaw hidden will become noticable as it warms.

I've been trying to up my tasting skills by writing up a review of any new beer I try. and posting them on beer advocate, or here if appropriate. And I usually describe the taste and the aroma twice, first when it is just poured and cold, and then as it warms up.

For an example, read what I posted about Oak Arrogant Bastard Ale; https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=791116#post791116

It is really fascinating how a great beer shifts and changes as the temp increases.

Revvy,
Thats a great idea. I have been contemplating doing some beer analyzing and posting for some time. I think it'll really open my palate up as well as probably help the brew community after I get good at it. Either way it's a great excuse to drink some beer! I'm glad to see that people share my sentiments with the warm analyze thing. I'M NOT CRAZY!!!!! :mug:

Back