I want I carbed ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is CO2 coming out of solution going to oxygenate your beer?

I guess what I meant is that if you are getting bubbles, it might be that the beer is sloshing (not really a problem with a bottling wand, but since the initial comment was about the difference between bottling from a keg versus from a fermentor, this was "if you are getting bubbling bottling from the fermentor"). If the beer is sloshing, you are risking oxygenating -- same as shaking the fermentor to aerate before pitching the yeast, except at this stage you wouldn't want that.

I guess what I meant is that if you are getting bubbles, it might be that the beer is sloshing (not really a problem with a bottling wand, but since the initial comment was about the difference between bottling from a keg versus from a fermentor, this was "if you are getting bubbling bottling from the fermentor"). If the beer is sloshing, you are risking oxygenating -- same as shaking the fermentor to aerate before pitching the yeast, except at this stage you wouldn't want that.

I see what you are saying, but you will get CO2 coming out of suspension even if you are bottling strait from the fermentor. There isn't nearly as much for sure, but it's still in there, and some of it will come out whenever you disturb it. That's why you want to know the temperature the beer is at before you calculate your priming sugar charge. A certain amount of CO2 remains in the beer depending on the temperature it is at and you need to account for it to end up with the target volume of carbonation. And as you pointed out the bottling want prevents sloshing but does disturb the beer quite a lot when it first starts coming out and before the beer level goes above the nozzle, but unless you have purged your bottle with CO2 you are once again in the same boat whether from a keg or the fermentor. Having the ability to purge before and after filling like the pro bottling lines would be great, but for most of us homebrewers (those without counterpressure fillers) capping on foam is the best we can easily do to purge as much oxygen as possible from the bottle.

Ok so I experimented. One beer was bottled and totally flat. It was ok. I also tried one last night that had say for two days. While no big bubbles the beer did have this very very small amount of fizz that sat on the toungue. This is what I recall from cask we back home and what I called a flat beer.

I now know I prefer that tin amount of fizz.

Great to hear your conclusion! Happy to see a thread result in an actual, firm answer for the OP based on experiment, since that doesn't always happen. :mug:

I bottled an 80/- three weeks ago using 1 oz dextrose with the intention of a flat ale. It's now still quite flat, with no head and very slight carbonation. Quite tasty, but I think I'll wait another week before cracking the next one.

I also have some beer that went a bit wrong that is ultra carbed. I was given hydrometer that it turns out was about 15 points out. So I bottled an APA at what I thought was 1010 when it was really 1035. Thankfully for bottle bombs.

However I have found that a couple of hours in the freezer calms it enough for me to pour without losing over half of it.

My point is, the carb really adds something to be release of the flavours. Maybe I am turning all American? :)

Back