Hard boil vs gentle rolling boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phipcice

Reaction score
Some extract kit instructions say to use a "gentle rolling boil" during the boil stage of the brew process.. Just curious, how does employing a "gentle rolling boil" impact the brew versus getting your brew pot up to a more hard or violent boil? Some of my more experienced brewing buds say they boil as violently as possible.. Probably a bit of an inane question but again just curious... Thanks in advance for any input... Go Pack!!

I would think you would get less color development with the lower heat required for a gentle rolling boil. As long as the wort is moving and steam is coming off you are volitalizing and driving off things you don't want left behind. In addition you will use less energy.

Go Pack Go!!!

I got an idea from a suggestion tha tyooper made once. After mash & sparge,I bring to a boil wide open on "HI" (electric stove/aftermarget elements). Being on HI is supposed to give a better hot break according to her. It deg seems to push it to whatever max amount it'll produce.
Then I turn it down to "8.8" on the knob,adjusting slightly from there to get an more gentle,evenly rolling boil. This produces less boil off than the violent,bubbles of liquid jumping up boil. Using loosely added hop additions def gives a little more hop presence than the muslin sack bit I was doing. They always said it didn't make much difference. But it def helps with more hop presence.

Back