What to do with my Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

801realtordotcom

Reaction score
I started my first batch of Cider over a month ago 5 gal of unfiltered apple juice, 2 lbs of light brown sugar and yeast. 2 weeks in primary and now 3 weeks in secondary. Tasted today and it is awesome. Still sweet, and you can definitely taste the alcohol in it. I think its perfect. Almost like a nice dinner wine. My hydrometer reading is around 1.019-1.020. I forgot to take an OG reading so I am at a loss here. Do I wait longer to let it ferment dry or can I bottle it now? If I bottle now will my bottles be carbonated or remain flat? I would actually prefer a carbonated final product. Thanks in Advance.

I think you risk bottle bombs if you bottle now. There is potentially 15+ gravity points left to go. Take three gravity readings three days apart and see if it is still dropping.

If you want to bottle now and have carbonation you have to pasteurize which I will be doing in 3 days I have a cider that fermented out most of the sugar @ 1.005. I back sweetened it and brought the FG back up to 1.020.I bottled last night and will have to pasteurize in a couple days because the sugar I added, otherwise I will have a sticky mess. Judging by the ingredients the safe bet would be your cider is not done fermenting.

So if you like they way it taste and your good with that, do some reading . Once you cap those bottles they will continue fermenting and building up pressure till you stop the fermentation process which is not always the easiest thing to do. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/easy-stove-top-pasteurizing-pics-193295
or
Stop fermentation before bottling and keg carbonate it yourself.

Back