Best Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mward

Reaction score
I'm going to get together an order to Mid Country and was wondering if anyone can give opinions on the best Maris Otter malt they carry. I thought this had been discussed in another thread but I couldn't find it when searching for 'maris otter'. Also can anyone give me a read on pilsen malt for a dopple bock? I think I'll snag a bag of that too for making some big bocks this winter. Thanks.

Ajf: I was looking for a recommendation on flavor, as in more flavorful versions. I know there are some brands of MO that are generally accepted to be better in flavor than others, and was soliciting opinions for that.

I'm sorry, but I still think the same principle holds. I use Muntons M.O. crystal and carapils, because that's what the LHBS sells, it's a good price, and it works really well for me. I made the mistake of ordering some carapils over the Internet (it was not Muntons), and the results for me were not good. That doesn't mean that the malt was not good, it's just different to what I am used to using.

FWIW, I am very happy with the Muntons, but I am not comparing it against any other brand.

-a.

I know a lot of people I have heard (including several pros) who are very happy with Crisp. I just used Crisp for the first time this week and it's in an imperial stout, so unfortunately I won't really get a feel for it.

Crisp is good, but the best I've used is Gleneagles. I just bought my second 55lb sack. Awesome base grain. Best price I've found is @ Midwest.

I can't advise on the grain, but there's a propane filling station on Vincennes, just a few blocks north of Armory drive. They charge $10.16 to fill a twenty pound tank, so bring yours with you if you can.

Also, be aware that this is a warehouse, not a commercial facility. As a result, you need to place your order ahead of time so they know you are coming. You call the 800#, place the order, charge it to your credit card, and then stop by to pick up your malt.

Funny thing, they've only had that location for about 8 or 9 months. When I called the 800# to order my malt, the lady says, "Now, how will you be paying? We can take a credit card over the phone, but because they are a warehouse, they can't accept cash or anything like that. Maybe, well, I guess you could just give a check to one of the warehouse guys and they could mail it to us.. if that would work for you. Either that, or I guess a credit card over the phone, whatever works for you...."

Neat place. I took pics of the warehouse. I might start a thread and post them...

not MO but i settled on Gambrinus ESB for my english ales. i liked it better than the MO malts i tried so i guess it proves the point that to each his own. there is no wrong choice

Back