Grape press - press plate help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brumer0

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im looking at building a grape press similar to the one Wade_E posted on this post:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/diy-fruit-press-152664/

It doesnt look like he is around anymore so I'm asking the community; What should/can I use for the press plate? Im looking at the Italian ratchet presses from Midwest and plan on building one about the size of the #40, which will give me a 17 gallon capacity, with the diameter of the basket being 16 inches (so the press plate needs to be 16 inches)

Also, will dried pine work for this project? Im hoping to just go to Lowes and get all my stuff there with the exception of a hydrolic jack b/c I cant seem to find a screw big enough in stores.

Thanks!!
Brandon

I ended up taking two 2x10s and cutting them in a circle. I had two layers of them, setting them together with the grains going opposite directions. Glued, and screwed them together.

Attached are some photos of my finished product (for others' reference in the future).

Anybody know the difference between a grape press and cider press? It would be nice to use this for both...

pressPlate.jpg

base.jpg

finished.jpg

Back