WLP670 Max Temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doog_Si_Reeb

Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just brewed a saison on Saturday and pitched WLP670. I cooled it down to 64F and kept it there until it formed about 1.5" of krausen. I then moved it into my house to let it warm itself up. It's been going gangbusters but I noticed that the temp is now up to 76-77F. White labs recommends the temp range of 68-72, which I'm obviously far exceeding.

My brain was thinking saison, which usually ferments pretty warm so I figured our house would be perfect. At this point I'm going to have to ride it out and see how it comes out. I don't want to cool it down and risk putting the yeast to sleep.

Any idea why they would recommend such low temps for a saison? The only strain I know of that works well in the 60's is Wyeast's 3711. Anyone have experience with fermenting 670 in the mid-70s?

I had a similar issue yesterday with WLP007. My basement is very cool and I have done countless batches down there this year without a hitch. Yesterday I got home and noticed that my Arrogant Bastard clone was blowing off foam and the temps were around 79-80. Never have they gotten this high before, usually hitting no more than 74 at peak fermentation. Not sure if it is a little warmer in the basement, the massive starter I pitched, or a little of both. Wanted to wrap a wet shirt around it, but determined none of my coolers I had ready access to were big enough to hold a 6.5G carboy. So, I grabbed my HLT which has a sight glass, drain, and thermometer and test fitted with an empty and it fit. So I put about 2 gallons of cold tap water and a few handfuls of ice in the pot along with my carboy. It cooled down nicely overnight and fermentation is still rocking. With the kettle, I can monitor water temps and add ice/water or drain as needed so I am going to use this for any further "hot" fermentations. There are other options, but this one worked well for me. I would follow WL's advice for temps as they are the experts...best of luck!

I checked with White Labs regarding the temperature range this morning. They responded very quickly! Here's their response:

Thanks for your inquiry. 68-78F is the normal temp range for optimum fermentation of Saison Ale yeast strains.
You should be fine at the temperature you are at.

Sounds like it should be fine in the mid-70s.

ha, maybe its so the yeast craps out and leaves more for the brett. i wouldnt worry about the temps you're at with that strain

I am a little concerned that there won't be anything left for the brett. A higher fermentation temperature will likely drive the sacc strain to dry the brew out. I'm hoping the brett will have something to do when the time comes.

brett doesnt need sugar to produce flavors, it can metabolize the esters, it'll be fine

I checked with White Labs regarding the temperature range this morning. They responded very quickly! Here's their response:

Thanks for your inquiry. 68-78F is the normal temp range for optimum fermentation of Saison Ale yeast strains.
You should be fine at the temperature you are at.

Sounds like it should be fine in the mid-70s.

Do you know if the temperature range they recommend is ambient or beer temp? Makes a huge difference as you well know...

Back