What's that flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
So I just opened my 2nd brew, a BBS Everyday IPA kit. I had some problems with overcarbing on my first brew (BBS English Chestnut Brown Ale) but this one seemed to come out much better, and tasted nice and bitter and hoppy like an IPA should. It's still a bit young, so I plan on waiting another 4-5 days or so, but it's damn good regardless.

Anyway, what's that flavor I'm getting? I got the same thing on the Chestnut Brown Ale...Excuse the bluntness of this, but when I burp, I taste this very "off/clean/metalic" taste. I also sense it a little (did so more in the Brown Ale than this IPA) when I drink it. It's not off putting, but it's just kinda there. I'm not sure what it could be. Maybe the yeast? Brooklyn Brew Shop really didn't have any labels on the dry yeast pack they gave me, so I have no idea what I even used.

This is the last kit that I did, so I'm wondering if my next brews (all recipes that I found online) will have this weird finish to them.

Anyone have any clue what this could be? Thanks!

Hey again! Good news on the carbonation.

The aftertaste you are describing sound like old extract to me. Do a forum search for EXTRACT TWANG, and you'll see this is pretty common. The types of kits you are making are the mass-produced types that sit in retail stores/warehouses at various tempertures for unknown periods of time. Freshness of extract is key in the quality of extract beers.

I know you are only doing one gallon batches, but you will see a big jump in the quality of your brews if you can order from someone who has high turnover and stocks consistently fresh extract, like Austin Home Brew or Northern Brewer. Their kits are all 5 gallon kits, but if you contact them directly, they'll scale it down to one gallon batches for you.

You also really need to think about doing at least slightly larger batches, as the larger the batch, the more forgiving it is to small errors, for the most part. Not much room for error in a four quart batch - even a few extra hop pellets can dramatically change your beer.

Depending on the size of your kettle, you could do 2-3 gallon all grain batches following the Deathbrewer method:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Hey again! Good news on the carbonation.

The aftertaste you are describing sound like old extract to me. Do a forum search for EXTRACT TWANG, and you'll see this is pretty common. The types of kits you are making are the mass-produced types that sit in retail stores/warehouses at various tempertures for unknown periods of time. Freshness of extract is key in the quality of extract beers.

I know you are only doing one gallon batches, but you will see a big jump in the quality of your brews if you can order from someone who has high turnover and stocks consistently fresh extract, like Austin Home Brew or Northern Brewer. Their kits are all 5 gallon kits, but if you contact them directly, they'll scale it down to one gallon batches for you.

You also really need to think about doing at least slightly larger batches, as the larger the batch, the more forgiving it is to small errors, for the most part. Not much room for error in a four quart batch.

Depending on the size of your kettle, you could do 2-3 gallon all grain batches following the Deathbrewer method:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Hey again!
I'm actually an all grain brewer, so would that "extract twang" carry over to grains as well?

I'd love to do larger batches, but that simply can't happen right now due to spatial issues. Trying to sell our tiny condo and need it to be cleaned out 95%...1 gallon batches are the best I can do right now.

I do BIAB

The flavor you're getting might be from the hops too. What hops were used? Some of the higher AA hops can give off a slight metallic flavor until the beer sits long enough to condition properly.

In 4 or 5 days you'll probably notice it less. In another 2 weeks it will be delish!

Gary

Back