Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excuse my lack of knowledge, Im just starting. When you say "1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM)" do you mean real Honey or some Honey malt?
If I can find all the ingredients, I will try this récipe ASAP.
Thanks!

Real honey, added at flame out!

Brewed this again today, everything went really well. OG was a bit high at 1.064 but ended up with 5.7 gallons of wort. Pitched Irish ale 1084, looking forward to a great beer.

Hi all,

I bought a minimal kit to be able to brew all grains, but I'm still out of time or still feeling I could do one more recipe with steeping grains and extract (or something like that).

That said, this all-grain recipe sound very interesting and after skimming through some posts of this thread, I'm feeling uncertain on how I could modify this potential marvel recipe to an extract recipe (with steeping and/or hops additions).

What kind of extracts (or else) or mixed extracts would you take instead of the actual grains of this recipe?

Thanks.

I entered this in the 2011 Peach State Brew Off taking 1st place. Thhis has a DEEEEEP red color and is big on the malt flavor. Enjoy

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 15.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) (add at flame out)
1 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

You can sub the Pale malt with either DME or LME in the appropriate amounts to equal the grain (4.75 lbs for DME and 5.8lbs for LME according to BeerSmith2)... then steep the carraaroma and melanoiden.. skip the carafoam if ya want. Keep in mind that it won't be the same beer.. Extract is great.. but it won't be an exact replacement for grain and mashing it yourself

Hi all,

I bought a minimal kit to be able to brew all grains, but I'm still out of time or still feeling I could do one more recipe with steeping grains and extract (or something like that).

That said, this all-grain recipe sound very interesting and after skimming through some posts of this thread, I'm feeling uncertain on how I could modify this potential marvel recipe to an extract recipe (with steeping and/or hops additions).

What kind of extracts (or else) or mixed extracts would you take instead of the actual grains of this recipe?

Thanks.

Brewed 5 gallons of this for my sons first birthday. I ended up overshooting the SG by a lot (1.065 if I remember correctly) and made a much stronger beer than was intended. I am thinking it might have been the honey we used. I was kind of worried not many people would like it but it was a huge success! It was gone in a couple of hours. Even though I warned everybody that it was "a little stronger" than bud light they gulped it down lol. Made for some pretty fun times.

I brewed a variant of this on saturday... I subbed cara 8 for the 8 oz of the cara foam and carmel 120 for the cara aroma. I also decided to use tettanger hops at the 30 min mark instead.. it didnt come out red like Id hoped.. also I had to reduce the honey to 1 lb because my efficiencies drove the OG way too high even when adjusting the recipe for my normal 86% efficiency I still got almost 89% on this one... despite my substitution effecting color I think its still going to be a great beer.

Hi All,

This beer was my fourth batch about 4 years ago.
At the time I had no beer in stock so I drank it very quick (within 6 weeks of bottling).
Now I have the opposite problem I have a loads of beer to drink.
So was wondering how this one ages in the bottle.
I would be storing it in my dark basement at a constant 60F.
If I still had a few of these left in 6 to 8 months would it still be tasting good?

I will probably do a split batch with WLP005 and US-05.

Thanks! :rockin:

Hi All,

This beer was my fourth batch about 4 years ago.
At the time I had no beer in stock so I drank it very quick (within 6 weeks of bottling).
Now I have the opposite problem I have a loads of beer to drink.
So was wondering how this one ages in the bottle.
I would be storing it in my dark basement at a constant 60F.
If I still had a few of these left in 6 to 8 months would it still be tasting good?

I will probably do a split batch with WLP005 and US-05.

Thanks! :rockin:

I made this twice, aged for 4-5 months in bottles. You really should age a batch of this, you'll be impressed :mug: I used wyeast irish instead of california.

I'm doing a 10g batch in late April or early May and will be giving a bottle to my wedding guests in september ;) Wanted to brew in march, but decided on upgrading my setup to a 3 vessel electric first :ban:

I made this twice, aged for 4-5 months in bottles. You really should age a batch of this, you'll be impressed :mug: I used wyeast irish instead of california.

I'm doing a 10g batch in late April or early May and will be giving a bottle to my wedding guests in september ;) Wanted to brew in march, but decided on upgrading my setup to a 3 vessel electric first :ban:

Thanks for your reply; sounds promising. :tank:
If I brew it I will have to sub the crystal hops with Mt. Hood or Strisselspalt.
Then decide between US-05, M42 or WLP005 for the yeast.

I think I'm going to brew this up the next time I brew. How do you think UK Pilsner as the base malt would change this? I have some on hand and would like to use it up.

At first this stuff was harsh and nearly undrinkable, but it just needed some more bottle conditioning (I was impatient). Now it is awesome! Been about a month since brew day and I'm really stoked with how the flavors have mellowed out. I think the pound of honey needed a little more time to age out than what I am used to. Beautiful color. Beautiful brew! (I used a repitched Wyeast 1084, Irish Ale.)

gByaPj6.jpg

Have this one mashing currently, hopping with all Cascade and pitching Wyeast 1450 Denny's. Can't wait to see how she turns out!

Hey Mysticmead,
I brewed this yesterday. It was a lot of fun. The aromas were amazing. I'm new to homebrewing as this is only my second all grain batch. I had a little bit of trouble with my Sparge water staying at temperature. I'm just using a bucket type setup with a homemade fly Sparge device made out of PVC (see picture) I guess I need to overheat my water that sits in the HLT so that by the time it gets through this sparge, it is at the correct temperature. Does that sound logical? I had the Sparge water at 170°, but it was dripping into the mash ton at about 160. The wort tasted really sweet. Could this be because of the low sparge temps? Because it kept extracting sugar? My OG was 1.052. I was actually thinking it would have been higher with how sweet it was. I could see the honey in suspension. Will the yeast take some of that sweetness away during fermentation or should it actually have a sweet taste? I made a big yeast starter using calc software so I know the pitch rate is good. Any tips you have would be great. I'm sure I may have left out some info also. Hope to hear back.

CHEERS!

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

Brewed a lighter version of this (SG 1.051) and substituted crystal for columbus (because bittering).

Also used yeast from Zymoferm, "Kingdom Ale". Will be the first I try from them. I suppose it's their S-04.

The original recipe resulted in the most amazing caramel/toffee notes I have ever had in a beer. It's incredible.

I would love to brew this recipe, but as I stated in my presentation thread, I'm from Uruguay, and unfortunately, I can't access the same malts as you people post.

Maybe some of you could guide me what can I do with what is available in my country :(.

This is the malts, yeast, and hops I can find. I might find some other yeasts.

Having a glass of this out of a mislabeled bottle that's been sitting in the back of my brew closet since November last year (the taste is unmistakable). And damn does this beer age well. It's just OK after the normal six weeks but it just keeps on getting better from there. Will have to root around to see if I can find any more...

Wonderful toffee/caramel flavors without any harshness or sweetness. So good, it just takes some time to get there.

Kiiiiiiinda tastes like a Beligan Dubbel but much better.

I would love to brew this recipe, but as I stated in my presentation thread, I'm from Uruguay, and unfortunately, I can't access the same malts as you people post.

Maybe some of you could guide me what can I do with what is available in my country :(.

This is the malts, yeast, and hops I can find. I might find some other yeasts.

I'll brew with this adjustment for 20lts:

Pilsen malt 5kg
Caramel 120° 0.45 Kg
Viena 0.250 Kg
Caramel 10° 0.250Kg
Honey 0.450gr

Expected Pre Boil: 1055
After Boil: 1063
FG: 1016

Tell me what you guys think about this "mod", maybe I can adjust it better-

Going to brew this on Wednesday, without reading through 1100 (!) posts, does anyone know if there were any noteworthy recipe improvements over the years from the original? :mug:

Hey Mysticmead,
I brewed this yesterday. It was a lot of fun. The aromas were amazing. I'm new to homebrewing as this is only my second all grain batch. I had a little bit of trouble with my Sparge water staying at temperature. I'm just using a bucket type setup with a homemade fly Sparge device made out of PVC (see picture) I guess I need to overheat my water that sits in the HLT so that by the time it gets through this sparge, it is at the correct temperature. Does that sound logical? I had the Sparge water at 170°, but it was dripping into the mash ton at about 160. The wort tasted really sweet. Could this be because of the low sparge temps? Because it kept extracting sugar? My OG was 1.052. I was actually thinking it would have been higher with how sweet it was. I could see the honey in suspension. Will the yeast take some of that sweetness away during fermentation or should it actually have a sweet taste? I made a big yeast starter using calc software so I know the pitch rate is good. Any tips you have would be great. I'm sure I may have left out some info also. Hope to hear back.

CHEERS!

Yes, the result of your mash should be a sweet liquid.
During fermentation yeast consume the sugar turning it to alcohol and CO2.

Hey all, just brewed a half batch edition of this but followed the original recipe to a T. Only got an OG of 1.047 but likely because I ended up with 3 gallons in my fermenter when my calculations, water, grain bill etc were for 2.5 gal but I'm not a big numbers guy, as long as it tastes and looks good. It's a bit brownish red now even behind light but hopefully it reddens up a bit while fermenting. I hope mine turns out as well as all of yours!! Cheers MysticMead, might try your oatmeal stout soon :mug:

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3439.jpg

IMG_3446.jpg

I'll brew with this adjustment for 20lts:

Pilsen malt 5kg
Caramel 120° 0.45 Kg
Viena 0.250 Kg
Caramel 10° 0.250Kg
Honey 0.450gr

Expected Pre Boil: 1055
After Boil: 1063
FG: 1016

Tell me what you guys think about this "mod", maybe I can adjust it better-

Exactly what I would do, but if you have access to a basic 2 row or marris otter it would be the best.

Here she is after 5 weeks grain to glass:

jzDFUFu.jpg

I snuck a pint last week already, but the flavor really developed dramatically in the last week. Slight off-flavors are gone and it's just a really nice, malty beer. Turned out a bit redder than I'd hoped for, but I accidentally added too much melanoidin malt, so that's on me. Can't really make out any of the added honey, but I'm sure it plays a part.

Used an experimental yeast for this as well (Xymoferm) and it turned out bloody fantastic. Gonna let this sit for another 2 weeks and then deem it good to go. I'll probably tweak it a bit next time to get it a bit lighter, but great recipe overall.

10 days into fermentation and it's looking BEAUTIFUL! Numbers were a bit different than OP, OG 1.047, SG now and probably FG is 1.006 rather than 1.059 and 1.010 but not too concerned about that. Sample is chilling in fridge for a taste test. Bottling in a few days!

A291A36D-188D-483D-86BA-80A063C7F7F2.jpg

2C76EE88-3B65-447F-82A1-E6972DD72048.jpg

Any reason to ferment much more than two weeks on this? More a question on the style as I haven't brewed anything similar to this point. Am at day 15 and thinking of kegging in the next day or two.

is your SG stable and at the predicted level?
It's more of a question of does this style of beer benefit from sitting in my fermenter any longer. I'm not going to have an IPA sitting much longer than a couple of weeks, as an example, but am wondering if given the style of this beer does it benefit from more time in fermentor. I am guessing not and perhaps it will just develop a bit in the keg. I'll be checking gravity regardless.

Any reason to ferment much more than two weeks on this? More a question on the style as I haven't brewed anything similar to this point. Am at day 15 and thinking of kegging in the next day or two.

Check your FG and any other signs of it not being finished. If everyone at the yeast party has gone home, keg it and enjoy it. Typically with reds, I'll cold crash it and clear it with gelatin.

Check your FG and any other signs of it not being finished. If everyone at the yeast party has gone home, keg it and enjoy it. Typically with reds, I'll cold crash it and clear it with gelatin.
Thanks! First red and have thought of cold crashing possibly.

Back