240V Extension cord question for the gurus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jflimbo

Reaction score
I know there is quite a bit of info regarding this topic that has already been discussed. However, after searching I still have a few unanswered questions.

I am looking to build an extension cord to run from a 30amp 3 prong dryer outlet to a 5500w boil kettle. My question is in regards to wire size. Due to being a renter, I am unable to add a closer outlet and am faced with a distance of 60 feet to the outlet. I am aware that NEC code says 10 gauge wire is sufficient for the 30amp circuit. I also realize that at 60 feet there will be a descent voltage drop. If I understand correctly the NEC does not care anything about voltage drop only carrying capacity. If I use 10 gauge as opposed to 8 gauge is the voltage drop my only concern. I can live with some power loss at the element as 5500w is large enough lo lose a bit and still provide plenty for a vigorous boil.

Most importantly I want to do this safely but if possible stick with 10 gauge soow wire as the 8 gauge soow is about twice the price per foot. If I am correct the only downfall with the 10 gauge is the loss in voltage not a safety issue. If this is incorrect logic please correct me.
Thanks,
Jim

I run pretty much the exact same setup, except my cable run is a tad shorter. I register the same voltage at the end of the cable as I do at the outlet.

I feel you though, that 10/4 cable is freakin expensive for the plyable extension cable type.

10 awg will carry 30A fine. But not 50A. And don't use romex! (looks like you know that...just sayin')....

Latest posts

Back