Re-Pitching on Brett Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I made a 100% Brett beer with B and L strains and I have re-pitched on the original cake once. The second beer was a Robust Porter that I threw straight on the Brett.

My question is, can I just repitch on the cake 1 more time? I want to do an Old Ale and I would love to just throw it back in the same carboy but is this too many times in a row in the same vessel (trub and sediment)??

If you think it's too many in a row to use the whole cake, how would you go about getting the yeast from the carboy and to a new vessel.

To be honest, if I find out it can't just be pitched right on top, i might scratch it because I wanted to just keep all of my Brett beers confined to 1 carboy.

What do you think?

Pitching onto the whole cake might be a bit of overkill

There really insnt anything to worry about for contamination, brett can be killed just as easy as sacch or all the other nasties that live on your brewing equipment when its not in use, however if you are still worried about it, just pour out some of the slurry so theres only as much as needed (mr malty slurry calculator)

Pitching onto the whole cake might be a bit of overkill

There really insnt anything to worry about for contamination, brett can be killed just as easy as sacch or all the other nasties that live on your brewing equipment when its not in use, however if you are still worried about it, just pour out some of the slurry so theres only as much as needed (mr malty slurry calculator)

I've read that it isn't overkill if you are using just Brett. I realize with other yeasts (sacch strains) that have a more vigorous fermentation that a whole cake is too much, but do you really think it's overkill with a slow worker like Brett? I just want to make sure I get good attenuation because this is going to be a big Old Ale that I throw on there.

Still only take some of the slurry?

Brett by itself really isnt any different of a ferment that sacch, it will have a very vigorous start and finish rather quickly

as a secondary yeast in addition with bugs it will superattenuate and be slow, but thats only in the presence of bacteria that aid in breaking down normally unfermentable sugars

Latest posts

Back