imperial pumpkin porter yeast recommendation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blue800

Reaction score
I was pressure cooking some pumpkin a few days ago and had too much water and cooked it a bit long, so I had about a quart of "pumpkin broth" that I didn't want to throw out, so I froze it with the intention of brewing a little 2 gallon batch with it. The recipe is an imperial porter with an OG of ~1.073.

My question is which yeast to use since I don't want to spend $7 on a liquid yeast for such a small batch. I don't have a lot of experience with dry yeasts. Which would be most appropriate for the style and strength? I can get are Notty, Winsor, Mauri, or Coopers.

Another option is to use some of the washed strains that I have of WY1056 (american ale) or Ringwood ale...

I would like to avoid those typical english flavors. I ferment on the cooler side (~62 or less).

Any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric J.

go with the 1056 if you have some, ferment cool like you usually do if you don't want esters.

Yeah, go with the 1056. I should think you'd want a neutral strain like 1056 for this beer.

Build up a starter with your washed 1056, chill the complete starter and pitch the slurry.

Bob

I was hoping to get to the brewshop and brew this one today...but I never made it. I think I will go ahead with the 1056...I even have a 6 gallon APA half way through the fermentation with 1056...I may just steal some out of there for a starter.

Thanks for the suggestions

That's an excellent idea, Blue. Harvest a good amount of slurry in clean, sanitary Mason jars and store them cold until you need the yeast. Don't wait too long, though; you lose about 25% viability every seven days.

If you need more tips on pitching slurry, just whistle.

Bob

Since the porter is only a 2 gallon batch, if I harvest ~2quarts of beer from the APA and drop the yeast out in the fridge in mason jars ....with loose lids and pitch that in to the porter without a starter? Or should I make a ~1 quart starter and add ~ a turkey baster full of fermenting APA?

Edit/Update: I wanted to give the yeast a break coming off a 1.070 ferment, so I made a 1 liter starter (~1.043) and added the turkey baster full of beer from my primary. I'll probably just pitch the whole thing when I brew on tuesday or thursday.

Back