Kick Start this Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddle_Head

Reaction score
Brewed my first batch last night, an extract kit from Northern Brewer.http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/recipe-kits/extract-kits/extract-ale-kits/irish-draught-ale-extract-kit.html.

Everything seemed to go fine for a first timer, including wort areation. I used the Nottingham Danstar Dry Yeast, sprinkled it on top of the wort which was about 62F at the time, and put it in my ~60F dark basement.

It's been about 20 hours, and still zippo Krauzen. (I know, I know the 24-72 hour thread up above and the countless other threads like it). I've got a blowoff tube even though it's a 6.5 gal carboy (paranoid noob :eek:). Anyway the temp on the side fermometer is showing 58F now. I'm thinking that it might be a tad too cold to get the yeast going, range listed on kit was 57-70F. I'm considering putting a small heater nearby to bring the ambient temp around the carboy to the upper 60's.

Overkill? Unnecessary but still fine to do? Don't do it!?

Any feedback appreciated.

Mine did the same thing, except it was sitting around 68 degrees. I aerated it with a sterilized wisk for a good 20-30 seconds. The next day, it was alive and bubbling well.

It was up to about 64F this morning (31hrs), but still nothing. I may slosh the carboy for a bit this evening if it doesn't look like it's moving by the time I've gotten home.

If I do end up having to repitch yeast (I'm not panicking, just considering options), anyone have a recommendation for where to get some w/in 1hr of Dutchess County NY? I'm not aware of any LHB anywhere nearby, and couldn't get any shipped here before next week.

If it is warmer than the basement, the yeast are actively growing. I'd leave it alone. It should kick over to fermenting within another day.

Thanks, I should have clarified. Ambient air and liquid temps are pretty much equal so far. The increase in liquid temp only seems correlated to me increasing the ambient temperature, not anything exothermic from yeast activity.

DO NOT AERATE YOUR WORT AFTER YOU HAVE PITCHED YOUR YEAST. Just relax and wait for the yeast to get their work done. 58 is a little cool for most Ale yeasts, but they'll work just fine at that temperature if you wait.

Back