Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Dakota is with all the great ones that have gone before him. He couldn't get up except to turn around, but was still was responsive to all of us. Made it that much harder but we knew it was the right thing to do before he began to suffer. I've had a shot and now raising a pint [emoji481]. Cheers HBT!

View attachment 400076

We had to say goodbye to our chocolate lab a little over a year ago. He had a tumor and it was growing. It started off affecting the right side of his face making it hard for him to eat. As it grew, it got to the point that it was affecting his balance and that's when we felt, along with our vet, that it was time to say goodbye. He was only 10 but he was still wagging his tail the day we said goobye and that made it so damn hard!!!

Why can't dogs live longer???

So sorry about your puppy

My Priscilla & my Goombah will play with Dakota & take care of him until you are reunited

Charlie, 16 year old chihuahua. My wife got her when she was a baby, so when we got married a few years ago, I had to adopt her. The quietest, chillest, sweetest chihuahua you'd ever meet. And she does tricks of spin, roll over, and high fives!

20170509_172422.jpg

20170114_100330.jpg

20141229_175459.jpg

What? You want more Charlie? Ok! Btw, she's almost deaf, and had 1 big tooth left, hence the tongue hanging out, lol.

20150909_150549.jpg

20151024_183432.jpg

20160528_120020.jpg

20160701_192604.jpg

Today is a sad day in the Brewenstein house. This evening we will say goodbye to our Dakota. He has given us 13-1/2 great years and will be missed greatly. He has slowed down this past year, but took a turn the last few days. Our vet isn't sure what is wrong without a lot of testing but knows it is something serious. He can hardly make it from one pillow to the other one without collapsing. So we have decided to let him go while he still has some dignity. Our daughter that lives in Pittsburgh drove in last night and we will FaceTime our daughter that lives in Tampa so that we can all be together.

I took this picture this morning as I headed out to work. You can't see it, but our son slept beside him all night.

View attachment 399978

So sorry to hear about Dakota. When we lost our little girl in 2015, we picked up 2 dogs from a local shelter within a week; mother and daughter. It wasn't necessarily that we were trying to replace her. There's so many dogs out there that need homes and it helped us find some type of purpose to her passing. What you're going through right now is the absolute worst. Hang in there and I am raising a glass to Dakota as I type this.

I've got to vent here......... Like dogs, in fact I like all but one of the dogs here, but I unfortunately in my many years of experience living among dog owners, about 50% are mindlessly inconsiderate thoughtless ********!!!
I always have at least one neighbor who lets their dogs run free, usually more. One in particular, who's family I've been friends with for 35 years is an especially egregious offender. It's a tiny rural town, unincorporated, with of course no leash law..... or any other ordinance. This particular neighbor allowed his dogs to run loose, killing cats and rabbits, and anything else they could catch, until I finally made it clear in no uncertain terms that I was going to shoot his dogs next time I had to drive them off a cat. That was a year ago, and he went out and installed an invisible fence.
His dogs are loose when he's working outdoors, and they are more or less under his control........ That's OK. They've stopped killing cats, and rabbits because there are none left to kill. First thing in the morning he turns off the fence and kicks the dogs out to come crap in my yard, and they are allowed to run unsupervised for an hour or two........ THAT'S NOT OK.

The attitude seems to be that if I don't want his dogs in my yard, and they do cause several problems other than their morning deposits, it should be up to me to build a fence to keep them out. The dogs frequently are out chasing cars, and people, and roaming around stirring up the dogs that are fenced in....... like a little kid dragging a stick against the fence. The result is constant barking and chaos in what should be a nice quiet town.
It's kind of like having a teenager move in next door and practicing on his drum set all day long, or living in the city and putting up with the constant blare of boom boxes, etc. This is unfortunately a typical dog owner attitude. My friend in town who has a business and home next to a large gas station / convenience store has a constant problem with dog owners. I've watched dozens of times when travelers get out and walk their dog into her front yard on a leash to crap. Visiting my mother in Portland, I've watched people walk down the street and do the same, and even allow the dog to dig in her flower garden.

If I cannot eventually correct the dog owner, I'll find the opportunity to kill his dogs and end the problem......... I like both dogs and get along with them well, but I'm sure I'd like them better dead at this point.

The cities tend to have a better dog owner culture as a rule. It is not politically or legally correct to allow your dogs to roam. Most dog owners in the city scoop up after their dogs when they walk them........ generally on leash for fear of being ticketed. Out here unfortunately that culture does not exist. I once had problems with a neighbor's dog destroying my garden by romping through it daily, and when I complained she said "Montana is a "fence out" state"....... Meaning it was your responsibility to fence the neighbor's animals out of your property, not theirs to fence the animals in. Completely untrue in the present day. My response was...... "Then I'll fence with lead". Another friend killed one of two dogs from a local ranch when she caught them in her sheep...... They had killed two sheep and torn up several more. The dog owner called the sheriff and complained, and threatened a lawsuit against the sheep owner!!

Please work harder as dog owners on promoting RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP CULTURE. I'm a responsible gun owner, and take care not to endanger anybody with my firearms, though I killed 31 raccoons and 14 skunks last spring and summer...... right in my yard. I may soon add one or two dogs to that tally!!

Please work harder as dog owners on promoting RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNERSHIP CULTURE. I'm a responsible gun owner, and take care not to endanger anybody with my firearms, though I killed 31 raccoons and 14 skunks last spring and summer...... right in my yard. I may soon add one or two dogs to that tally!!

Nice to meet you responsible firearm owner, I'm a responsible dog owner. Noone can argue that there are irresponsible firearm and dog owners out there. You're not going to solve either of those problems here on HBT.
However, for your particular situation, I have an idea...grow a pair and confront the dog owner instead of dreaming about murdering them like a psychotic maniac. Whining like a coward on a public forum isn't doing anything to help your problem and assuming you're an adult, you shouldn't need us to tell you that violence isn't the answer. Handle it by conversing with the dog owner like a grown-up and then RDWHAHB!

Killing an intellectually inferior, defenseless creature has always been man-kind's primary course of action. They somehow feel all self important and righteous afterwards.

Bravo Owly55! Thanks for keeping our species looking like a bunch of azzwipes!

Leo.
he was at the groomers that day. They had to close early so they called me to come pick him up at lunch time. I agreed, and made a comment that I would take him with me to my office for the rest of the day.
The groomer kindly provided a little necktie so he would fit in to the corporate look :)

officedog2.jpg

Last edited:
5 years ago today, our Howdy hurt his back bad enough to require surgery

couldn't afford surgery by the local vet neurologist so our regular vet recommended the Virginia–Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine at Virginia Tech

thank you Dr. Dolese and all the vets & students at VA Tech for giving us the precious gift of the last 5 years with the Howdy

and HIGHLY RECOMMEND, if you can't afford life-saving procedures for your critters, check out the nearest veterinary college.
710.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495423139.597798.jpg
How they grow so quickly! Charlotte is now a year old and almost 60 pounds.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495423182.357382.jpg
A bad angle of our "grandma dog". Nyla is our senior who turned 14 in February and still loves to play fetch.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1495423241.120724.jpg
Lastly we have Bella. 11 pound 10 year old who thinks she's bigger than Charlotte and doesn't give a damn.

All three of them are sleeping around me as I watch the evening news and type this post.

This is the most depressing thread ever. (maybe because we lost an old friend a few months ago)

I just finished bottling my latest batch of German pale ale, and our new pup was busy the whole time "helping" me. Licking up any that I spilled, and jumping on me trying to get me to spill more. Guy at work says it probably tastes like antifreeze to her ;)

New family member. We're picking her up in two weeks.

View attachment 402008

The names are down to:

Timber
Raisin
Kersey

What's your favorite?

What a cutie! She looks like my Hank! I like Kersey personally.

Weighed Hank in tonight. He's at 16 lbs. 13 weeks old this sat. This photo was taken two weeks ago (with his woofski)

Attachments

• 1496289663016.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 50
Newest member of pack but going to be a while until he becomes a member of the family. Stray wandered onto my property (new, semi-rural house) about 8 days ago. Super skittish with humans but after a close call with the dog catcher (who agreed to just put him in my gate if caught!) I baited him into the fenced part of the property.

Totally submissive to the other dogs. Already playing chase with them! Scared to death of me.

Going to lasso him Saturday and take him to the groomer (overrun by flies) and the vet on Monday. His name is Zues since my St Bernard is Hera.

Zues.jpg

Back