U-Haul is my new best friend!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zacharomyces

Reaction score
Ever since I first started using a propane burner I've been taking my cylinders to the local mega builders supply shack near me. I was driving past the local U-haul and I noticed that they had a sign about refilling your tanks there and that it was a lot cheaper. Decided to try it. Normally I pay about 18$(plus tax) for a swap with 15Lbs of propane. Just got finished paying $12.80 after tax for 16.44Lbs! yeeehaw! Game on!

Ace hardwares in some areas will also fill tanks for a lot cheaper then swapping, the one near me fills to 18-19 lbs for $17. The local big boxes want $19-25 for 15 lbs.

12.80 is pretty cheap.

Yep- I learned that when you go to those places (with me it's Sunbelt Rentals) that they use a scales to determine when to cut off, and you have to keep an eye on the actual fill. This now extends to some of the big tank exchange outfits (Blue Rhino, Amerigas) who are underfilling the cylinders (Amerigas is 15 lbs, I don't know about Blue Rhino) "-so that we can keep the exchange price the same, due to the rising price of propane." Of course this happened back when oil peaked, but has NOT gone back down with the slide of prices.
I had two cylinders filled at Sunbelt Rentals by a kid who I now believe didn't know how to work a platform scale, and when I got home, found only 10# in each. When I went back and told them, they said they didn't know how it happened, and they'd make up the gas- it's their policy to fill the tank with the tare weight printed on the handle; i.e., if your cylinder is stamped "17.5" on the handle, that's how much gas they'll put in there. Sunbelt is $12 for the fill.....which makes it a pretty good deal, if they fill it as much as they're supposed to.

I'm just sayin'- it's always a caveat emptor world out there.

At the local Ace I get my 4th fill for free. Since I brew a lot and grill year round it is a nice plus to have. I have also had issues with U Haul when I moved several years ago, but it was not nearly as bad as Evan's story. However, I am going to be moving in the next few months and it is food for thought.

They were great to me as my rental house tenant allowed a neighbor to park a U-Haul car dolly for lifting the front wheels off the ground and towing. It has
a 3,500# capacity I recall plus two years expired tags. I call 4 different U-Haul locations to come pick it up. With no luck after 15 plus calls over 2 weeks I took it to my shop. Stripped the frame down, ground off every weld with the words U-Haul on it, Tig welded over the serial numbers
then ground and flap wheeled smooth. Off my old trailer I restamped this trailer and added my plate. Sand blasted, prime and painted, primed, painted to my trucks colors, it has been licensed for over 24 years and counting. Besides friends borrowing it plus we towed race cars to the drag strip hundreds of times so this has been a very good car dolly for me.
I thank U- Haul for being jerks not wanting to pick up their car dolly.Works for me.

I'm with you, brother. I had a U-Haul owner tell me, "I don't like to rent to You People". Who exactly were "You People" supposed to be I wonder? I would've punched him if he wasn't 90 years old.

I don't care if they were doing it for $5. U-Haul is the devil and they will never ever get another dime from me. Here's my horrible u-haul story from back in 2002. I implore you, do not do business with them. Just because you save a few bucks on propane is no reason to support these monsters.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit about the rental car.

Seinfeld: "You know how to take the reservation; you just don't know how to hold the reservation."

Rental Agent: "I know how to do my job, sir!"

Seinfeld: "I don't think ya do!"

I've been around 6.5 decades, and getting enmeshed in a service department of pretty much any entity in corporate America on the wrong day is a nightmare. I'm just thankful that it hasn't happened to me more than two or three times. In our immediate area, now that Ryder doesn't rent to individuals any more, U-Haul is pretty much the only game in town.....not sure we wouldn't have go to a ways to find a Penske......

He's supposed to shell out $6 more because U-Haul poked you?

Me and, if you look around teh interwebz, a whole metric sh*t-ton of other people. I'm sure there are other places that will fill up your tanks for less than a BR exchange at Lowes, anyway. I just think that sh*tty companies should be boycotted...and hell, even within this thread there are a handful of people who have had bad experiences!

They were great to me as my rental house tenant allowed a neighbor to park a U-Haul car dolly for lifting the front wheels off the ground and towing. It has
a 3,500# capacity I recall plus two years expired tags. I call 4 different U-Haul locations to come pick it up. With no luck after 15 plus calls over 2 weeks I took it to my shop. Stripped the frame down, ground off every weld with the words U-Haul on it, Tig welded over the serial numbers
then ground and flap wheeled smooth. Off my old trailer I restamped this trailer and added my plate. Sand blasted, prime and painted, primed, painted to my trucks colors, it has been licensed for over 24 years and counting. Besides friends borrowing it plus we towed race cars to the drag strip hundreds of times so this has been a very good car dolly for me.
I thank U- Haul for being jerks not wanting to pick up their car dolly.Works for me.

And you put this in writing. Dude restamping a vin is a federal offense . Kid I knew when I was 18 and working at a body shop was locked up just for having the star rivets that are used on the dash Vin tags.

I know you tried to return it but damn dude.

Me and, if you look around teh interwebz, a whole metric sh*t-ton of other people. I'm sure there are other places that will fill up your tanks for less than a BR exchange at Lowes, anyway. I just think that sh*tty companies should be boycotted...and hell, even within this thread there are a handful of people who have had bad experiences!

Your experience sounds like every experience I've ever had with Comcast. Or a Taxi "reservation" service.

My experiences using U-Haul have been fairly good.

While traveling in my RV, I've found their prices for propane are always the highest for bulk propane. I guess compared to Rhino or wallyworld, they do okay, but when you're buying 30 gallons at a whack. On one occasion a U-Haul employee gave the the address of a place that was selling for $2/gallon less.

And you put this in writing. Dude restamping a vin is a federal offense . Kid I knew when I was 18 and working at a body shop was locked up just for having the star rivets that are used on the dash Vin tags.

I know you tried to return it but damn dude.

My guess is that the statute of limitations has expired by now :p

Well, I guess I might not try to rent a truck from these guys, but there a lot friendlier to my wallet and the propane burned just as good as any other I've tried..the gal was pretty friendly at that. Sorry most of you have had poopy experiences!

No real bad (or real good) story for U-haul but I do have a Mom-N-Pop propane place here that will fill my tank for $14.00 out the door.

I use U-haul all the time. Both for trucks and propane and I have never had a bad experience.

I must say, I never understand why people assume that local stores provide better experiences. If I went to a local store and had a bad experience, should I tell people never to go to local stores? I don't know, doesn't really make sense to me.

Every store is different whether it is owned by a big company or not. The employees in the store are the ones that provide the experience. People who work at U-haul or at U-small can provide equally good and bad experiences. To me any complaint against a U-haul should be against the specific site, not against all of them. Obviously based on other peoples experiences it does not always correlate.

I use U-haul all the time. Both for trucks and propane and I have never had a bad experience.

I must say, I never understand why people assume that local stores provide better experiences. If I went to a local store and had a bad experience, should I tell people never to go to local stores? I don't know, doesn't really make sense to me.

Every store is different whether it is owned by a big company or not. The employees in the store are the ones that provide the experience. People who work at U-haul or at U-small can provide equally good and bad experiences. To me any complaint against a U-haul should be against the specific site, not against all of them. Obviously based on other peoples experiences it does not always correlate.

I'm willing to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, dude. I run a small business myself, so I know how a minor misunderstanding can be construed as "dat bidness is teh suxxorz!" very quickly. But...did you read my story? Every single person I dealt with that day was incompetent at best, horribly rude and *****ey at worst. And when I dug around the interwebz and found the corporate contacts, they told me "there's nothing we can do, the regional office has jurisdiction here". So what I found with U-Haul is that they have a three-tiered system of plausible deniability set up. Corporate apparently has no control over the regional offices, who are, in my experience, total jagoffs. In turn, those regional offices have no control over the local franchises, which are often little more than dumpy little mechanic shops that picked up a U-Haul franchising deal to generate some extra cash.

So before you talk about how "a complaint against U-Haul should be against a specific site", why don't we check out the real issue, and that is that the corporate policy (as admitted to me by a higher-up in the corporate office) is to lie about reservations? Yes, the local Roanoke office was to blame for their particular rudeness, but the company as a whole is to blame for their awful policies of taking your credit card, charging you a deposit, promising you a truck, but not actually "reserving" anything...and then, when something goes wrong, they wave their hands in the air and say "hey, sorry, not our problem, the regional office has jurisdiction".

Not only that, but why don't you type in "u-haul sucks" into google, and see just how isolated my experience is. Hell, just try complaints.com, where I posted my story, and see how many u-haul horror stories there are. This is not an isolated incident, this is indicative of company policies which encourage poor customer service and are completely counter to the idea of "reservation". I can't tell you how many stories I've read about, for instance, someone driving along and the axle falls off their U-Haul truck, and they end up sitting on the side of the road for 12 hours waiting for someone. It's a bad company, through and through. Yes, there may be some good apples in local franchises, but those guys don't do anything but give you the trucks. If, god forbid, you ever have to deal with customer support, or you ever have to reserve a truck, you'd better be prepared to get effed in the A.

What i love is Uhauls policy or the 4 hour rental if you only need it short term fine but uhaul would rather you have the truck for 4 hours. Try renting one 1 way or for several days at a time wont happen. I believe that story tottally ive moved cross country several times penske or budget only ill never use uhaul for boxes even they are awful. As for propane we dont really have any locals here in vegas that ive found yet but the Home Depots have 24/7 self serve that are pretty good priced

Latest posts

Back