Schizosaccharomyces pombe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peck

Reaction score
Schizosaccharomyces pombe is a type of fission yeast originally isolated from from an East African millet beer. It is used commonly in a variety of research in biology. Due to my deviant and unhealthy obsession in making beer with strange critters, I am unsurprisingly interested in using this beastie for making beer and have managed to scrounge some. Well, I'm supposed to be getting it next week, at least.

So does anyone on here have any experience with S. pombe? I've only found a couple references online to making beer with this guy and the reviews are mixed, to say the least. One fellow attempted to make beer with pombe and described his results as "foul, the worst sulfur smell I ever had...The resulting brew was uninteresting: very dry, very thin." While these types of reviews are less than confidence installing, they also make me wonder a couple things. First of all, I wonder if these results would actually be unpalatable to someone who was both wanting and expecting funky results. Also, I wonder if it would be possible to minimize some of these unpalatable characteristics by changing some of the fermentation parameters. For example, what if pombe produced cleaner fermentation at higher/lower temperatures? Also, pombe was initially used to make beer from millet and what not rather than from barley and hops. The few things I could find on this millet beer suggested that it was not unpleasant. Could there be something in the barley or hops that the pombe metabolizes into unpalatable compounds that are not present in millet?

Another track to take, I think, would be to try mixing the pombe with another more common type of yeast, like sach or brett. That way most of the fermentation is done by a 'cleaner' yeast while the pombe provides a funky edge.

So much brewing to be done. Heh.

Perhaps you could use millet syrup? I think they make it for GF beers. Oh yeah and coolest name ever.

Maybe try the typical "fast sour beer method". Ferment with saccharomyces cerevisiae as normal. Then drop in the Schizosaccharomyces pombe. You could drop it in before the normal yeast fully attenuate for more funk. A beer fermented with both types of yeast could truly be called "schizo"!

Oh, and it is seriously the coolest name ever.

Maybe try the typical "fast sour beer method". Ferment with saccharomyces cerevisiae as normal. Then drop in the Schizosaccharomyces pombe. You could drop it in before the normal yeast fully attenuate for more funk. A beer fermented with both types of yeast could truly be called "schizo"!

Oh, and it is seriously the coolest name ever.
When I get this yeast, hopefully next week, I'm going to split the batch and do a full Pombe fermentation for one half and a "fast sour beer method" for the other half.

When I get this yeast, hopefully next week, I'm going to split the batch and do a full Pombe fermentation for one half and a "fast sour beer method" for the other half.

I know I'm a little late to the discussion, but I'd really like to know how this turned out! I work in a Pombe Lab, and for our next Pombe Club meeting we are going to brew up some Pombe Beer and compete against other labs.

I've been put on task to brew this beer, so I'm looking for tips, suggestions, recipes - anything to help. I want to avoid the "sulphurous nose" that has been described and was wondering if the "fast sour beer method" described above ameliorated the flavor at all?

Any Results?
And actual brewing notes like what temperature, for how long, the grain bill.

So, are you guys using lab pombe to brew? I would think it hasn't been selected for its tastiness. Just like you wouldn't want to brew with lab Saccharomyces, I don't think you'd want to brew with lab pombe. But how did it turn out?

Back