New Zealand Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and in other exciting news I made my first sour beer. Pitched some dodgy old harvested yeast that had a pellicle on top of it. Disgusting plasticy flavour at first but now it is getting quite sour after about 3-4 months.

Probably going to have to blend it to make it sessionable, and I really have no idea what I'm doing (other than never keeping harvested yeast in the fridge for months and using it without a starter) or aiming for but that could be half the fun.

The one question I do need answered is If I do end up blending, will it stay stable or will it turn the blend as sour as the original beer?

While I haven't done it, if you are blending a sour beer with a regular (non-soured) beer, the bacteria will go to work on the starch in your regular beer and start to sour it as well unless you pasteurize. Or so I'd think. However if the new beer is fermented a bit dryer, and/or kept clean of any bacteria until after the fermentation is completed it's possible there will be less for the bacteria to work on, resulting in a less sour beer. But I wouldn't imagine by all that much.

Your biggest concern with that approach would be making sure everything was fermented out before bottling. If you blend and bottle the bacteria may start to do it's thing and cause bottle bombs. You also want to get some PBW and really make sure you've cleaned your gear good. Once that bacteria is in it's hard to get out. I'd go and label any plastic fermenters or tubing that touched this one and dedicate it for sours only going forward.

Yeh i was planning on not using this fermenter for clean beers anymore, so i guess now i will have to have a sour constantly on the go.

I did a bit more reading on sours and they can ferment dextrins so they sure will keep going. Might just leave this one for a few more months and see where it ends up before blending.

Oh snap did know there was one at beervana! Not sure if i have anything decent enough to put in, potentially my hoppy pilsner but don't have enough time to bottle it as it's still lagering.

Yeh I found out a bit late too. Have one batch Kegged atm, but its still carrying a bit of heat in the aftertaste and is a bit low on aroma. I'm thinking if I can notice flaws the judges will crucify it. I have a second in the fermenter brewed last weekend that I might be able to squeeze in if I get my second keg in time but that will be majorly pushing it.

Beervana's categories are interesting as well...

Baptism by fire bro, Its worth it to get some feedback, even if it is a bit harsh.

Yeah those categories are a bit of a surprise, fairly specific. Maybe I'll give the amber ale section a hoon. I'm not overly impressed with mine but will be interesting to see what the judges say.

i just find it weid how they have an ale category as well as pale ale, amber ale, dark ale, ipa and dark. Kind of doubles up as all of those are ales.

Also have to get bottling from a keg down pat. Will have to make me one of those counterpressure fillers with a bung and a bike tube valve. Anyone gt some experience with that?

Anyone brewing for competition this year? I'm nervously thinking about it. My beers get good feedback from my mates but they won't be anywhere near as discerning as a competition judge.

Beervana has a competition next month as well as the SOBA national homebrew cometition in October/November.

The NHC is a great competition, good feedback ;ast year. and even a medal for me.
go for it, get feedback it can only help your brewing.

i just find it weid how they have an ale category as well as pale ale, amber ale, dark ale, ipa and dark. Kind of doubles up as all of those are ales.

Also have to get bottling from a keg down pat. Will have to make me one of those counterpressure fillers with a bung and a bike tube valve. Anyone gt some experience with that?

Buy a beer gun, they're worth their weight in gold.

Beervana rules and regs says they only give feedback to the finalists.

boo that sucks. The Great Wellington Brewday gave feedback for all beers entered which was great (until i read the one for my XPA which got slayed lol)

Im also trying to sus out the whole beergun/counter-flow bottling devices for when i get my kegerator. any recommendations or experiences? I see the threads for the picnic tap-racking cane hybrid, but also saw the blichmann beer gun gets ok reviews.

boo that sucks. The Great Wellington Brewday gave feedback for all beers entered which was great (until i read the one for my XPA which got slayed lol)

Im also trying to sus out the whole beergun/counter-flow bottling devices for when i get my kegerator. any recommendations or experiences? I see the threads for the picnic tap-racking cane hybrid, but also saw the blichmann beer gun gets ok reviews.

blichmann is a great device. But go to kegresources.co.nz they have the same thing but sour $30 cheaper. That's what I have and it's amazing.
I have the picnic tap setup too. It works ok bit not as good as the other. I use the picnic taps for bottling Brett/sour beers from a dedicated keg.

+ 1 for that

Second that...
In that spirit
National Champs -NZ Federation of Amateur Winemakers & BREWERS Clubs

As far as I know to be able to enter you need to be a member of an affiliated club (list here http://www.wine-and-beer-hb.org.nz/...clubs-affiliated-to-the-n-z-a-w-b-federation/)
More info: http://www.forum.realbeer.co.nz/eve...ederation-of-amateur-winemakers-brewers-clubs
Catagories: http://www.wine-and-beer-hb.org.nz/...15/04/2015-HB-Nationals-CompetitionSpecs1.pdf
Prizes: http://www.wine-and-beer-hb.org.nz/2015/04/17/nationals-2015-prizes/

Not affliated to this at all - just saw it on the NZ Realbeer forum

Last year i promised myself that i would get plenty of batches ready for the competitions. Damn it

Me too - I have even become a SOBA member months in advance so that I have more incentive from the member's rates. Need to get a game plan together for the NHC!

Me too - I have even become a SOBA member months in advance so that I have more incentive from the member's rates. Need to get a game plan together for the NHC!

if you weren't already aware, judging is 7November. Beers required for cataloging the week before, normally the friday in past years.

Good to know.

I think I have made my best beer yet with a recent recipe of mine, bit early to tell as I only kegged it yesterday so need it to fully carbonate and settle but initial tests are putting it at a "summer" type pale ale.

From memory the recipe was;

4.2 kg American Pale ale
300g Caramunich T3

2 tspn Gypsum @ 60
17g Pacific gem @ 60
50g Riwaka @ Flameout

1 Whirfloc @15

US - 05, 20° x 14 days, cold crash 1° x 4 days.

First time using the Gladfield American Pale Malt, has finished quite dry and mouthfeel is initially a bit too light but that may change with carbonation (I also seem to recall I mashed a bit lower this time so by no means a side by side comparison).
Keen to do a side by side between the malts but who has time for that, I got variety to brew.

if you weren't already aware, judging is 7November. Beers required for cataloging the week before, normally the friday in past years.

I know I have some time... but the game plan really need to include upgrading of gear so that is my main concern :D

I know I have some time... but the game plan really need to include upgrading of gear so that is my main concern :D

I started with an upgrade of my system, and them subsequently abandoned it, and bought the infamous grainfather.
I've brewed for three years, and the first brew on the weekend, couldn't have been easier. its a fantastic system, now I just need to make sure i ferment it well enough nd it'll be all good. Nice Hoppy NZ Coconut Stout.

I started with an upgrade of my system, and them subsequently abandoned it, and bought the infamous grainfather.
I've brewed for three years, and the first brew on the weekend, couldn't have been easier. its a fantastic system, now I just need to make sure i ferment it well enough nd it'll be all good. Nice Hoppy NZ Coconut Stout.

I know what you mean, been humming and hahing for the last year probably on what to do... upgrade current gear, sell and go bigger / smaller, prebuilt or DIY... to many decisions! I need to choose a path and stick to it. And lately that is to build a rims + pump for the MLT tonail down mash temps... then on to DIY Arduino controller... one day ;)

First time using the Gladfield American Pale Malt, has finished quite dry and mouthfeel is initially a bit too light but that may change with carbonation (I also seem to recall I mashed a bit lower this time so by no means a side by side comparison).
Keen to do a side by side between the malts but who has time for that, I got variety to brew.

I too used the Gladfield APM recently in a low gravity pale ale. I get where you are coming from but I added carapils, crystal, and munich to mine and it came out great.

I too used the Gladfield APM recently in a low gravity pale ale. I get where you are coming from but I added carapils, crystal, and munich to mine and it came out great.

I think the long n low mash as well as a well attenuating yeast was just a bit too much. It does really showcase the hops and bet it would do the same for some specialty malt.

it definately has a place in some future brews of mine

Slow day at work today..... So I tried my hand at making a brew shop resource on google docs.

check it out here and add and upgrade and share or ignore if you think its rubbish.

This is my first time creating Google docs but it looks like you may have to request access to edit the doc. Please do so that we can turn this into a sweet resource and reward the best brew shops.

Last edited:
Slow day at work today..... So I tried my hand at making a brew shop resource on google docs.

check it out here and add and upgrade and share or ignore if you think its rubbish.

This is my first time creating Google docs but it looks like you may have to request access to edit the doc. Please do so that we can turn this into a sweet resource and reward the best brew shops.

Awesome idea. Added in some info :)

Just ordered my Kegerator :rockin:

Got a 2-Tap version with 2x19L kegs, will pick it up on Friday Whooop!!

Just ordered my Kegerator :rockin:

Got a 2-Tap version with 2x19L kegs, will pick it up on Friday Whooop!!

The Mangrove Jack one??
is 2 taps enough? i built mine, and have just gone from two to three taps. I'm yet to connect it, but now I'm back from the US it'll start getting chocka in the fridge. i have a Dedicated Sour keg as well now, so that'll be handy.

The Mangrove Jack one??
is 2 taps enough?

Yeah man thats the one. I can easily upgrade to 3 taps for like $100 but tbh i don't think ill need to. 2 kegs should be plenty :) i did get a 3 way CO2 distribution block too so i can hook up a bottle gun or a third keg down the line.

Looks like ill be watching a lot of youtube kegging tutorials lol

Hey guys,
To those of you who are kegging, I would like to know what you recommend for carbonating? I have done a lot of reading over the weekend, and there seems to be 2 major schools of thought:

1. Set your keg to serving pressures (ie 10psi) and wait 5-7days
2. Set you keg to 30psi for 48hrs, drop pressure to 8-12psi then tap

I have done option 1 for my first keg (my pilsner), purely because this seemed simple and I'm in no rush. But some people in the forums reckon this can take 2-3 weeks to properly carbonate? obviously this is unverified but I am curious...
Anyway I have my Yakima Monster Clone fermenting at the moment and keen to get that carbonated ASAP to make the most of the hoppiness, so keen to try the second option, but feel like I might over carb it!

what do you guys do/recommend?

Thanks team!

*PS I will try keep the n00b questions out of this thread as much as possible

I go with a different option again.

I get the keg lying across my knee, with the gas in dip tube below the level of the beer (i have a check valve which prevents backflow).

Crank the pressure up to 2 bar (30 odd psi) and run it until you hear it stop. Turn off the gas at the regulator, and shake the keg until the pressure reads the desired psi, and repeat this a few times. After about 3 or 4 repeats shaking will not drop the pressure, at which point I put the keg in the keezer and set the regulator to serving pressure (14psi @ 5°) and can be drinking 24 hours later.

I haven't had any problems with overcarbing yet, but have only done 2 kegs.

I go with a different option again.

I get the keg lying across my knee, with the gas in dip tube below the level of the beer (i have a check valve which prevents backflow).

Crank the pressure up to 2 bar (30 odd psi) and run it until you hear it stop. Turn off the gas at the regulator, and shake the keg until the pressure reads the desired psi, and repeat this a few times. After about 3 or 4 repeats shaking will not drop the pressure, at which point I put the keg in the keezer and set the regulator to serving pressure (14psi @ 5°) and can be drinking 24 hours later.

I haven't had any problems with overcarbing yet, but have only done 2 kegs.

i let it carbon on its own, i don't rush mainly on the basis that, anything apart from set and forget tends to be in consistent. and hey waiting a week or two is ok by me, means i get a chance to finish off the other kegs or drink my bottles.

Once i get some more kegs i might start to set and forget, but for now i like the quick method. I havnt had a keg last 2 weeks yet i think

I tried the shake method but ended up over carbed. Set and forget is kinda foolproof. Plus it means I can drain my other keg faster.
Having said that, I put my american wheat on 30psi for the afternoon to help it along (kegged it yesterday).

Set and forget because I have four kegs so never really in a rush to try my latest beer. Alright carbonation after week one, good carbonation after week two and perfect after week three.

Back