A short video tour of my brew shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got bored during the boil tonight so I gabbed the camera and decided to wander round the brew shop.

Brewing up another 10 gallons of my Gold Rush Haus Ale.

There's a secret ingredient on my table if you can guess what's on deck for my next brew (Orfy has an unfair advatnage).

[YOUTUBE]0eB2r29rekE[/YOUTUBE]

Nice, I think you brew more in a week than I have since I have started brewing.

Great shop! I noticed two things in particular.

1. You focused a bit on the fans and flame...
2. You can see a reflection of your pet parakeet in the mirror.

OH YA?!?!

Well middle finger in the mirror to you too, BM!

I laughed my butt off when I saw that. Looks like one cool place to spend a few hours brewing.

the_bird said:
I saw a lot of yellow/orange on that flame; aren't you worried about carbon monoxide poisoning?
Sowwy. Can you wepeat yourfelf? I'm pheewing kind of fuvvy in fa fafe wight now...

I fink I'll way down and take a shote nappy nap....

Wake me in about an ouwa....:drunk:

the_bird said:
I saw a lot of yellow/orange on that flame; aren't you worried about carbon monoxide poisoning?

Don't be scared. A little CO poising never hurt anyone. :p

landhoney said:
Is the secret ingredient this stuff:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=39508
I think I remember orfy saying he used something similar.
WINNER.

I found some Lyle's Golden Syrup and World Market. Kinda pricy, but for the true taste of Old Speckled? It'll be worth it.

That's my next batch....prolly in the next 3-4 days.

:D So WTF do I win? Nice video BTW, and I was pulling for triscuit beer - those things are tasty. Try the black pepper ones, they'll change your whole outlook on life.

Would you believe me if I said I knew it was Lyle's syrup, even before watching the video? Stuff's a key ingredient in Hobgoblin (which I've been drinking a lot of; I see the syrup at the grocery store every week and think about making a clone).

the_bird said:
Would you believe me if I said I knew it was Lyle's syrup, even before watching the video? Stuff's a key ingredient in Hobgoblin (which I've been drinking a lot of; I see the syrup at the grocery store every week and think about making a clone).
Yep. Course, after I shelled out 5 clams for each of those two 11 Oz jars, my LHBS proprietor told me how to make the stuff with table sugar, lemon juice and some heat...

Oh well.

BierMuncher said:
Yep. Course, after I shelled out 5 clams for each of those two 11 Oz jars, my LHBS proprietor told me how to make the stuff with table sugar, lemon juice and some heat...

Oh well.

I've mentioned it a few times.

It's table sugar heated and partialy inverted with an acid.
It's getting it right though.

You need to taste some of it. It's nice.

orfy said:
I've mentioned it a few times.

It's table sugar heated and partialy inverted with an acid.
It's getting it right though.

You need to taste some of it. It's nice.
Thanks Orf. I'm a right brain kinda person though so I need step, be step (by step, by step) instructions. My LHBS ran down the process for me to use next time.

I'm going with the real Lyle's this time so I know what to strive for.

Orf...do you think an English Ale (Safale - 04) is a good yeast to use to keep a little sweetness in the beer?

I'm planning on mashing around 158-160F.

Looks pretty nice Muncher; just be careful you don't die in there (seriously, I once fell victim to a carbon monoxide leak - went to bed Monday, woke up Wednesday - thank the whoever I lived in a crummy apartment with drafty windows).

Bugger just lost my post.....

It said.

Safale - 04 is a good middle ground.

Or

Nottingham and mash +158
Maltier and cleaner

Or

Windsor and mash - 158.

more fruity ester slightly drier

Think about what you liked from the OSH.

I like malty and clean.

orfy said:
...Nottingham and mash +158
Maltier and cleaner
...I like malty and clean.
Cool. Same heer. I have a pack of Nottingham (only one though :()

Maybe I'll do a Safale-04 in one batch and the Notty in the other.

BierMuncher said:
Cool. Same heer. I have a pack of Nottingham (only one though :()

Maybe I'll do a Safale-04 in one batch and the Notty in the other.

You only need one. It'll be going within a few hours.

I rehydrate at the beginning of the brew session and it's happy to go at the end. I just use boiled kettle water and I do something that is not recommended.
I add half a teaspoon of sugar to the yeast to get it excited and used to the sugary wort it's going in. I have always had super fast start times and usually hit the target OG in 3 days.

edit :sorry, you're doing 10g.

Using the two is good so you can compare.

Another Darwin award canidate, read the warning lable turkey fryers are not to be used inside. I hope you at least have a carbon monoxide monitor in the house.

Waldo said:
Another Darwin award canidate, read the warning lable turkey fryers are not to be used inside. I hope you at least have a carbon monoxide monitor in the house.

Hmmmm. Not sure. But I think that was a shot...

Oh yeah...those big square things making all that whirring and whooshing noise. Why those are F A N S...

They're used to move air from one place to another at a high rate of speed. In this case the first one was used to push air in to the brewshop and the second one you saw was used to pull air out of the brewshop. There's such a strong draft at that burner I couldn't light a match if I wanted to. (And uh...this is a beer brewing forum...not a turkey frying forum. I was actually brewing beer, not frying a turkey...)

I just love it when someone pops in once a week to post some genious comment without having been part of a thorough conversation, on the topic.

Oh, and what exactly are the criteria for the Darwin Award and what benefits would be bestowed upon me? ;)

Nice place. Think about all the nice winter days you'll be brewing down there, keeping warm and flipping your self off in the mirror. :D

BierMuncher said:
I just love it when someone pops in once a week to post some genious comment without having been part of a thorough conversation, on the topic.

I hate when people do that, read the whole post* people or don't post. They say the same thing someone said five posts ago.

*exceptions include the CCA and apfelwein threads.

Sorry guys, I read the whole thread and several others that relate, you may think me a fool but I have read many sad stories of people that thought they knew what they were doing and died knowing they were right to back me up. All I ask is that you use a co detector to be sure you are as smart as you think you are.

Waldo said:
...Sorry guys...
No problem.

I got pretty thick skin but there's a big difference between this:
Waldo said:
I hope you at least have a carbon monoxide monitor in the house.

And this:
Waldo said:

If I want to be belittled, I'll go talk to the SWMBO.

It doesn't have to kill you right away, it can cause damage without you even knowing it.

Long Term Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide, also known as CO, is a potentially deadly gas that can have devastating effects upon your life – assuming, of course, that it doesn’t kill you.
This gas has no taste, colour or odour, and can be breathed in over a short or long period of time without you even knowing that it is present. Depending on the levels of carbon monoxide that are breathed in to the body, you may suffer short term effects or permanent damage.
Again depending upon the levels of carbon monoxide breathed in, this gas could prove fatal and can cause a gradual death or can kill within minutes.
The reason why carbon monoxide is so harmful is that it displaces the levels of oxygen within the blood, which results in the death of cells and damage to major organs, which are subsequently starved of oxygen. This lack of oxygen in the blood is known as anoxia. This can lead to a range of symptoms and effects, both short term and long term depending on the levels of gas breathed in and the duration over which you are exposed to carbon monoxide.
The long term effects of poisoning by carbon monoxide can be extremely serious. The long term effects of breathing in carbon monoxide can affect:
  • memory
  • brain function
  • behaviour
  • cognition.
It can also cause permanent damage to other major organs within the body, such as the heart.
It is thought that the hippocampus, which is the section of the brain that deals with new memories, can be particularly susceptible to long term damage from CO poisoning.

The effects of carbon monoxide poisoning over the long term may be subtle or may be very severe, depending on the extent of poisoning:
Up to forty percent of those poisoned can suffer problems that range from amnesia, headaches and memory loss to personality and behavioural changes, loss of muscle and bladder control and impairment of co-ordination and vision.

Many of these long term effects are not immediate and may present themselves several weeks after exposure.
In many cases, the symptoms may wear off within a certain time period.
However, in some cases the effects are permanent: particularly in the case of organ damage and brain damage.
Some of the long term effects of low level exposure are still unknown, so it can often be difficult to ascertain what sort of effect this hazardous gas may have upon your life.
Although the majority of people that suffer long-term effects from carbon monoxide poisoning do recover in time, there are those that will suffer permanent damage.
It is vital that everyone takes responsibility for ensuring their safety against exposure to this gas in order to avoid serious problems or even death. There is more information and better resources available on the subject of carbon monoxide than ever before these days, making it easier for people to protect themselves and others from the dangers of CO poisoning.
By educating yourself, raising awareness, and exercising vigilance you can dramatically reduce the risks of carbon monoxide both within your home and in the workplace.

But, the part that he didn't show is that he sleeps in a hyperbaric chamber! Problem solved.

landhoney said:
Slick trick Biermuncher, wasn't sure how you got away w/o 10 characters. Maybe I'm just slow(as Sause says).
I know! :D It's really not that hard if you think about it.

Methinks we're just going around in circles here again. I'm thinking all this fighting over CO poisoning is slowly killing me.

Thanks for posting the video, BM - it'd be neat for more peeps to take little videos of their brewing setups to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back