buying in bulk? low on cash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerguy

Reaction score
I recently started brewing and am completely amped on it. I want to brew as much as possible. The problem is that I am severely limited on cash. So I need to find away to get cheap ingredients, particularly malt extract, as that is the most expensive. I don't want real low quality, but perhaps someone knows where I could order in bulk from a wholesaler, or just a cheap place to order bulk malts in general. I live in New York. Thank you for any suggestions.

Even buying in bulk, extract is still expensive. Try moving up to partial mash or all grain. Grain is much cheaper than extract and somewhat easier to store. Just moving up to partial mashes should cut your batch price nearly in half. You can also re-use yeast and save $ that way.

Go all grain and buy bulk. The beer is better & cheaper. My Haus Ale costs $7.85 per 5 gallons to make. Then again, you have to cough up some cash to get the price as you must buy more. Kinda catch 22.

i gotta agree. if you have the space to go all grain, put your extra cash into building a MLT, and get an 8 gallon turkey fryer for outdoor boils.

my LHBS wants about $5 per pound of dry malt extract, vs $1 a pound for base malt. over time you'll save more money by going all grain or even partial mash, than looking for cheap bulk extract.
i'd go dry instead of liquid since it stores better.

Like others have stated, spend $100 on building an MLT and getting a turkey fryer and go all grain. You will make up for the investment quicker than you would imagine.

Hot damn, 7.85 per 5 gals! I'm goin all grain for sure. I'm sure I'll have many questions though...

Thanks for the heads up. By the way, what does MLT stand for?

and the MLT is what you put your grain and hot water into, in order to make your own extract (that's dumbing it down a little, but its still accurate)

Back