What percentage of your beer is homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iambeer said:
I don't agree with you or 95% of the posts here. I could be wrong but in my estimation, as an artist or craftsman, creating is only a small part of the job/hobby/lifestyle. Exploring what is new and being part of the community of a larger part of it. You gotta try other beers on a regular basis. Consuming your own beer is fine and well but it's odd. If you want to keep the hobby interesting, you must maintain a higher standard than your capability. Therefore, "research" as one poster called it... is a constant effort.

Depends on the volume of beer your using to calculate against! If your volume of homebrew farley exceeds the volume of commercial beer your commercial beer volume would be low % and homebrew consumption would be a higher %.
Should we restart the post with an assumption that everyone brews the maximum amount of beer per adult per household? Or assume we just pick a number that everyone should use to calculate against.
Lets say 500 gallons is the number we calculate against:) :-,)

I like to try out new stuff, so when I'm the only one drinking, I drink commercial stuff. Plus, I love sours and I haven't mustered up the courage to brew sours. All in all though, I'd say I'm about 90%.

Just brewed my third 5-gallon batch. First batch is bottled and being consumed. Next batch won't be ready for a couple more weeks.

At this point, I'd say about 10 percent of the beer I drink is home brew. I can get that percentage up by (A) brewing more home brew, (B) drinking less commercial product, or (C) getting my wife to drink more home brew. I'm thinking A, which in the end will lead to B, and since she loves the pilsner ale we're drinking now and has always been a big fan on nut brown ale/beer (which she'll dive into in a couple weeks), I'm thinking C is in the bag and I've got a good recipe for a rapid increase of home brew consumption, percentage wise.

And that, my friends, is a formula for learning our ABCs. Who knew the ole alphabet could be so fun? ;)

I'm already looking at getting a second fermentation bucket so I can do my brews a week apart or brew 10 gallon batches. Reckon I'm gonna need a bunch more Grolsch/Fischer bottles!

I'm probably 60-70% homebrew.

I'll go on a trip and won't touch a commercial beer for a few months, then either run my supply low, need more bottles, or want to try a new beer to push my limits of taste.

I would like to eventually be 90% homebrew, but gotta get more bottles and brew more!!

Depends on the volume of beer your using to calculate against! If your volume of homebrew farley exceeds the volume of commercial beer your commercial beer volume would be low % and homebrew consumption would be a higher %.
Should we restart the post with an assumption that everyone brews the maximum amount of beer per adult per household? Or assume we just pick a number that everyone should use to calculate against.
Lets say 500 gallons is the number we calculate against:) :-,)

Okay.. so let's say you make the US federal limit of 200 gallons... that's a lot of beer.

But I just find it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority of home brewers posting to this thread drink the vast majority of their own beer instead over craft beer. This is because A. home brewing is not an exercise in saving money and B. craft brews are really good.... who better knows how good craft brew than a home brewer?

So these numbers don't match up for me. For example: are we talking about gallons or bottles or something in between? How are the amounts matched up and compared into percentages? Can someone suck five pints out of their keezer and that is NOT equivalent to a single pint of a glorious craft beer beverage? (my answer is not always)

There are a lot of variables in play and these numbers supplied by posters are meaningless just because there's not information to control the info.

Home brew isn't cheap, so I tend to drink it instead of buying commercial beer. At least at home - as for "exploring," I tend to get that by ordering pints at beer bars, which for obvious reasons don't serve my homebrew.

95%.
I will drink commercial beer if I stop at a bar, I'm at a friends house or on a rare occasion when I mess up and get a gap in my beer supply line.
Since my keg supply recently got to five, I don't expect to have times when I'm out of beer anymore.

95% of the beer I drink is homebrew. The rest is beer at restaurants or beers I want to try from the store. Otherwise known as research.

I drink my beer 7 days a week and usually visit one of our good beer spots 3. Might just be prejudice but I'm suspect of the 99%ers. At least around here the homebrewers that make a real quality product are the same group that I always see at the good bars and the one's that just make so-so are never around. I'd be worried about too much of a house palate. And no matter how good my beer is, there's a pro somewhere doing a better job.

iambeer said:
Okay.. so let's say you make the US federal limit of 200 gallons... that's a lot of beer.

But I just find it hard to believe that an overwhelming majority of home brewers posting to this thread drink the vast majority of their own beer instead over craft beer. This is because A. home brewing is not an exercise in saving money and B. craft brews are really good.... who better knows how good craft brew than a home brewer?

So these numbers don't match up for me. For example: are we talking about gallons or bottles or something in between? How are the amounts matched up and compared into percentages? Can someone suck five pints out of their keezer and that is NOT equivalent to a single pint of a glorious craft beer beverage? (my answer is not always)

There are a lot of variables in play and these numbers supplied by posters are meaningless just because there's not information to control the info.

I agree on the A Lot Of Variables!
When some of us buy BULK ingredients to offset the price of brewing we tend to drink only the stuff we brew! when money is a factor! For instance, If I were to go to the store and buy beer usually $10-$15 a six pack, I can brew 8ish six packs for $25 :)
More for less:)

probably bout 75%homebrew 25% commercial. none of that due to supply of homebrew.

i like trying new beers, and rare beers. I get sick of drinking my homebrew. I don't drink all that much, and homebrew can last a while with how frequently i brew. I don't want to have the same porter 25 times in a month usually.

plus there are TONS of commercial brews that i love to drink, or want to try, but i don't have any interest in brewing.

that said, i haven't bought anything greater volume than a 750ml bottle in a long time. i never buy a 6 pack, usually a bomber or just a single 12 oz.

I'm probably... well, hard to say..

I brew a fair bit, and I do keep a cellar of hard to find, exclusive craft beers. I also do buy beer from time to time to mix it up. I do get tired of drinking the same beer from time to time, but I do enjoy coming home and KNOWING I have a killer IPA on tap and that I can drink 4 or 6 of them that night and it be no big deal.

So I'm gonna go with 60% homebrew, 40% craftbeer.

I still like to drink different styles and I don't and won't brew them all, so..

I agree on the A Lot Of Variables!
When some of us buy BULK ingredients to offset the price of brewing we tend to drink only the stuff we brew! when money is a factor! For instance, If I were to go to the store and buy beer usually $10-$15 a six pack, I can brew 8ish six packs for $25 :)
More for less:)

You're right but also let's not forget that some of us live in small towns where the good beer supply is very small.
Henry Weinhard's and Moosehead is considered top shelf in most stores around here.

That's not to say I can't get Black Butte and a very few others, but not a lot to choose from.

If I want good beer and variety, I've got to brew!

Because I do most of my brewing from now til March, I would estimate the ratio to be 40% homebrew and 60% commercial/research.

45_70sharps said:
You're right but also let's not forget that some of us live in small towns where the good beer supply is very small.
Henry Weinhard's and Moosehead is considered top shelf in most stores around here.

That's not to say I can't get Black Butte and a very few others, but not a lot to choose from.

If I want good beer and variety, I've got to brew!

Awesome:)
When I do get beer, our kroger's sells a put together 6 PAC for $9.99 :) most choices are craft.
Happy brewing

99.9% hombrew in my house. we buy beer from 2 california craft breweries and various belgian sours. i certainly have not tried every craft beer out there but so far have liked 2 breweries enough to buy on a semi regular basis. too malty or not enough hop flavor or aroma is what i very often find with craft brews, those are 2 things i can control so that's why i brew/drink my own beer. i tried this yrs GABF gold winning IPA (Tap It Brewing Company), a malty mess in my view. very often i find myself holding the same glass of (malty, low hop aroma or flavor) beer with a different label on the bottle. clearly people love those beers since they are selling very well and i'm not hating on them, wish it was me, but i'd rather brew my own.

About 6 months into homebrewing I decided I would only drink homebrew for a year. Now, I'm not like some I read on here who have trouble drinking enough beer to make space for their next batch. I have one or two beers on a work night and 6 or so on days off. So finding room in the pipeline isn't too hard usually. I managed to do it, although I did move to 10g batches towards the end of the year. Now I usually only buy beer so I can try different styles or check out breweries I'm interested in.

I had a break with homebrewing ,since spring because I had so much stocked up. Even with a varied refrigerater full/maxed out( and consistanly new incoming-bordering obsessive) of craft beer in my spare fridge, I think I still may have more homebrew aging. IM gonna say 50/50 currently though. Probably 60/40 but I havent been inspired to count,untill I get more organized and inspired to be more organized then Ill count,until then I'll be lazy about it, I guess. Sounds like a good plan of motivation.
Nice thread start,probablay a long journey ahead.

Maybe 25% homebrew. I have a 7 month old and I do small batches. Even so, I really like trying new brews. I have at least one new beer a day (over the last three months I've had over 100). Nothing ego about it either, I just can't imagine brewing a new style without sampling MANY different offerings. I do this for research and also to train my palette. I have really learned a lot about what I like and want in my homebrew over the past year.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a beer I have had before.

I´m around 90% I still buy beer not because I´m out of my own (I brew more than I can drink) only to try stuff, call it research if you want to for me is just spending a little money in the one thing I love: beer. I have to say I buy much less comercial beer than before brewing and i rather prefer trying things in a pub than at home.

Latest posts

Back