What's the worst craft brew (commercial) you've had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first tried Odell's beers, i swore them off as bad brewers. Two of their beers (I had tried Levity and Isolation) were bad so I wasn't going back.

Then I started hearing about how some of my friends loved them...then I started hearing good things in the beer community. I gave them another shot... And I am glad I did because they do have some great beers. I just picked two of the maybe four beers they make that I dont like so I had a bad first impression.

Sam Adams has some really good ones but also some really bad ones. Old fezziwig, and chocolate bock are horrible. (From the winter sampler) I also don't care for most of the southern tier brews.. It seems like they dump a truck load of lactose in everyone of them.

Sam Adams has some really good ones but also some really bad ones. Old fezziwig, and chocolate bock are horrible. (From the winter sampler) I also don't care for most of the southern tier brews.. It seems like they dump a truck load of lactose in everyone of them.

+1 to the chocolate bock, its rather gross and for lack of better phrasing seems fake somehow. but I do like old fezziwig.

I have to agree with the Rouge Voodoo Bacon Maple. I was able to finish the bottle. But just barely.

Others that I can't stand are Pyramids Apricot Ale and there was a christmas beer about 10 years ago that i just could not drink. Got it. "Pete's Wicked Winter Brew." Or something like that. The last 5 bottles in the 6-pack sat in my fridge for over a year before I managed to get rid of it.

Your first clue should have been maple . No way should this ever be in a beer or anything else I am eating or drinking . Next Bacon . Bacon ? WTF ? Yuk . Was you planning on frying this up and having it with eggs and pancakes ?

Let me sum this up for everyone who thinks about drinking a beer with maple , bacon , cod , beef, rat droppings or other non beer items in it ....YUK YUK YUK YUK YUK ! Gag me with a spoon , YUK.

Rock Art's Midnight smoked porter is just horrendous. Tasted like sooty water. No body, no malt, no hops, no roast, just thin, dirty smoke. Pawned one off on a friend who I've watched chug an acetobacteria-infected beer with no hesitation, and even he couldn't finish it. Rock Art's brews are normally pretty good, but that smoked porter is drain material.

I didnt like the sam adams chocolate bock either, and it was the beer I was most excited about in the sampler. Too sweet and artificial, It tasted like tootise roll.

And I do like Sam Adams. Especially their Octoberfest and that hazel nut brown.

Patro said:
I didnt like the sam adams chocolate bock either, and it was the beer I was most excited about in the sampler. Too sweet and artificial, It tasted like tootise roll.

And I do like Sam Adams. Especially their Octoberfest and that hazel nut brown.

Yeah the hazel nut brown is tits, an if you like that you gotta like the fireside but brown by leinenkeugel

Fireside nut brown was great too. But another beer I didn't like was bud platinum. Not just because its a Budweiser product (I'm a fan of regular budwiser, and light in the summer) Platinum is just strangely sweet. I think they tried to stay too light in flavor while upping the ABV. They either need some maltyness or hops. Maybe black crown is the answer.

I bought a case of beer claiming to be "Best Beers of the World" or something like that an one of the beers was a Chili pepper beer, with an actual pepper inside... It was like drinking bud light lime with Tabasco.

I bought a case of beer claiming to be "Best Beers of the World" or something like that an one of the beers was a Chili pepper beer, with an actual pepper inside... It was like drinking bud light lime with Tabasco.

Still sounds like an improvement over Bud Light though...

Fat Weasel, Trader Joe's - Sickly sweet and under attenuated
Anything from Hoppy Brewing Company, Sacramento CA
Anything from Feather Brewing Company, Magalia CA - Also way under attenuated
:(

I'm not a fan of anything Brooklyn.

Carton makes a double IPA that's pretty rough. I like IPA's but DAMN!

Boddington's ale out of the can is also terrible, nothing enjoyable about it.

+1 to Brooklyn lager. I know we are supposed to like it because its from NYC but the $8 bottle from the hotel bar didn't live up to the hype

+1 to Brooklyn lager. I know we are supposed to like it because its from NYC but the $8 bottle from the hotel bar didn't live up to the hype

Man... I went to a small, private beer tasting once, and the guy manning the taps had a goblet of the stuff, drinking it like it was the finest beer he'd ever had. When I finally tried it, it tasted like beef bouillon. Absolutely disgusting, never been able to enjoy it since then.

heh, I'm far from hipster. Boston Lager is too heavy for a session beer (IMO of course). I don't hate, but I've always thought it was oddly heavy. A sessionable lager would be Victory Prima Pils.

I do like their Octoberfest a lot.

I tend to think that most SA bashing is done because it's trendy. Craft beer hipsterism.

By craft brew standards most of SA's offering fall somewhere between average and good. Their imperial pilsner and dopplebocks are particularly excellent. Their cream stout is probably the finest example of the style I've ever tasted. Even their Boston lager would be a fine session beer.

Yes, the taste reflects the price but I don't think there's anything wrong with producing a beer that doesn't cost $8+ for a bomber or $12+ for a six pack and still calling it craft.

Sam adams cherry wheat the only way to drink it is to drink the other ten beers in the twelve pack right before dinking them.

RandomBeerGuy said:
Have you had Wells Brewing Banana Bread Ale? its pretty close to the real deal.

I have had it and it is delicious! Can't have to many though that's not that kind of beer breath I want.

VincentK said:

A good chile lager is tasty though.

This is always such a hilarious **** talking thread. For now I'll add that the outrageous Bret brewing popularity is not to my liking.

I am certainly not going to claim to have tried a metric **** ton of different craft beers, but out of all the ones I have tried, the one that let me down the most was the most hyped and most expensive, $12 a bottle:

Dogfish 120

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/cib-cheri-tart/184458/

This is a review of the beer I read after I took two swallows and poured the rest of the bomber down the drain. I found it funny.

Thanks, Andy. Hazy amber pour with a tall white head. Light tartness on the nose, some soap, a bit of straw, grass, and candied cherry. A bit of cardboard, some hot dogs, water, and bandaids. The flavor is similarly strange. Soap, hot dogs, straw, and cherry candy. Some light lemon zest tartness, a bit of cardboard, bandaids, and grass. This is not good. Had to chase it with some Steel

Cariboo Draft from Pacific Western Brewery. I bought a 12 pack of this crap and brought it home and my wife and I tried it. She said it tasted like old socks and I think she's right (not that I ever sampled old socks). Got through half of the can before ditching ther rest of the can. Damn...11 to go still. Fortunately I was able to return the rest for a full refund. Never again!

Shock Top Pumpkin Spice; tasted like they spilled the whole bottle of nutmeg into the bottle. What do you expect from AB?

Cave Creek Chili Beer, I tried it on a whim since I like beer and spicy things but it was just painful and disgusting...and if you ever try this beer whatever you do dont eat the pepper that comes in the bottle, you will lose tastebuds if you do.

Bought some Cigar City "Florida Cracker". Just does not taste like a Belgian Wit, to me. Or that good in general.

I tried one of those chili beers one time. I don't remember the beer's taste, just trying to get around the heat of the pepper. But it creeped me out whenever the pepper would fall down to my tongue. (yes I was drinking it from the bottle.) I couldn't see it but could feel it. A very uncomfortable feeling.

laerck said:
Cave Creek Chili Beer, I tried it on a whim since I like beer and spicy things but it was just painful and disgusting...and if you ever try this beer whatever you do dont eat the pepper that comes in the bottle, you will lose tastebuds if you do.

That stuff is horrible! I split a six pack with someone one time and I think I ended up dumping it all except for the couple drinks I took at first. The first drink was to taste it. The second drink was to confirm that it was in fact nasty. Then down the drain.

sneakymeade said:
I am certainly not going to claim to have tried a metric **** ton of different craft beers, but out of all the ones I have tried, the one that let me down the most was the most hyped and most expensive, $12 a bottle:

Dogfish 120

+1 I was soooooo disappointed after all the hype. Don't get me wrong, it's okay.... Just okay!

I think 90 is the best thing dogfish has done. I feel like the 120 is overkill.

But the worst thing I've had lately is anchor's Christmas ale. It tastes like ginger snaps that were dropped in a sink full of dish soap

Back