What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started cold crashing a cream ale. This morning I'll add gelatin and tomorrow morning I'll bottle. It's kind of a shortened schedule, but I have it an extra day to make certain it was finished.

Started collecting some bottles of beer to age in my basement. They were all mixed in with some other beers I have down there when there isn't room in the fridge or kegerator. So I spent some time organizing the beers better so the aging beers will be in separate cases and labeled them with the year in case the print wears off.

Moved three full sour barrels last night from my old house to our new house. 2 15 gallon barrels and a 30 gallon barrel. The 30 gallon barrel was brutal to move down to the basement. My back hurts!

Currently boiling a batch of Fat Dog Porter.

Named after the Fat Dog.

18700251_10155491554929284_1500847406954115364_n.jpg

Was yesterday, but counts. Added 4oz lactose, 5oz whole bean coffee, 2 vanilla beans and 2 oz cocoa nibs to a blonde ale for a coffee blonde. Hope it is not a dumper. Brewed a NEIPA with equinox and citra

Kegged a Munich Dunkel. Brewing Classic Styles recipe based on Ayinger Altbairisch Dunkel. The hydro sample tastes great. I'm looking forward to this one!

The four free pin lock kegs I received had the automatic PRVs in the lid. I removed the PRVs and cut off the nipple part so I can place a bung in it and an airlock. These kegs will be my new fermenters moving forward I hope. This way I can place 3.5 gallons in each of the four and make a total of 10 gallons into the serving kegs after the losses.

Now I just need to clean the holes up (i.e. removing the burs and rough spots).

Bottling my APA, 6 days after dry hopping with Pacific Jade, Green Bullet and Warrior hops (2.5oz total). Hope all goes well!

Brewed a chocolate milk stout kit I had sitting around way to long(year, it was a freebie...). Got in 8 packets of Notty yeast and 10 pounds of UK extra dark crystal. I might brew an IPA today if temps drop a bit...

Texted a guy selling 15 corny kegs for 25$ a piece. Sadly he was all sold out..

647828.jpg

Just finished my first ever "evening" brew. Working Sunday and going to the Fair tomorrow, so took advantage of a Friday night with nothing to do and brewed up a batch of House IPA. "No-chilling" and will pitch in the morning. Now time for relaxing and HBT.

Weighed everything out to make a batch of my house ale. Little brother liberated a keg for my nieces wedding this weekend(in CA and I am not going, flying kills my back). She requested it and it is my gift to them. Little brother is taking it with on the plane(no clue how he is getting that by the TSA... his problem! He sad they would allow it as checked baggage and he has a box to hide what it is with lots of padding. Told him as soon as gets there tonight to put it under 30psi for 24 hours to make sure it is carbonated).

Kind of killed my plan to make an IPA today but with the heat we had brewing wasn't an option anyway, 94 degrees and 56% humidity. Little cooler tomorrow so I will replenish the house ale everyone loves. Got the brew rig prepped, water in the mash tun, grains crushed. All I have to do is turn the burner on and as the mash water heats I can fill the HLT(has a tiny leak from the thermometer if I leave it full overnight, need to fix that one of these days!) and start it heating on a low burner after I mash in. Might do the 5 gallon IPA batch Sunday if I have the energy left... might be a couch potato and watch NASCAR instead LOL.

Pitched yeast and cleaned the keggle & pump after last night's brew date with myself. I hate cleaning but it sure is nice to see all of my equipment clean and stacked away neatly for the next brew day. Off to the Fair later, hoping to convince the man that we need to stop by Jon's Homebrew Supply in Puyallup afterwards, just to say hi...really. I need to get a Winter ale started STAT and I'm out of grain.

Fed the mother........... mosquitoes as I brewed 11 gallons of a modified version of my house ale... Finished at 6pm, 6 hours later I am still itching! Been fighting to find decent brewing conditions, they are burying new water and sewer lines in front of my house so lots of extra dust and diesel smoke... don't think either will add that special flavor to my beer! They finished water lines early and only had to move a sand pile this morning so they were done a couple hours before I started brewing. Now if I could only find a cure for the mosquitoes attracted to the burner CO2... Minnesota is in the middle of a totally horrible mosquito hatch, I used 98% DEET today and still got bit up! When I picked strawberries yesterday I had 20+ on just one arm...

Just woke up to start what might be my last brew day for a little while. Next weekend will likely be taken up with last minute preparations for the new baby coming the following Monday. Who knows what my schedule will look like after that. This will be my second overnight mash and a continuation of my experimentation with fast brewing. It will be a kind of beefed up clone of the stone pale ale if my conversion efficiency from the last overnight mash was any indication.

Tracked down a CO2 leak in my kegerator.. Valve around the stem. Brand new freaking valve.

Downside of 20# CO2 Tank.. You burn up a LOT of CO2 with small leaks(too small to hear but big enough to slowly drain tank).

Brewed up a stewbrew - mostly base malts and leftover Cascade plus fresh Cascade, so it'll probably turn out like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Then kegged my Altbier and got yeast going for the dunkelweizen I'll do next weekend.

Pitched yeast in a Landlord clone I brewed yesterday. I had to cut cooling short because my Brewery is on the deck and a thunderstorm threatened to invade my fun last night. So, I placed the fermenter in the ferm chamber to finish cooling to pitching temp. This AM I was where I needed to be.

Back