A little advice please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanBiggins

Reaction score
Hey there, I'm very new to the whole idea of home brewing and decided to buy a little starter kit to get myself going. I got underway making my mead and after finishing preparing the must, etc etc and leaving it for a few hours there's not much in the way of foam or bubbling, should I be worried or just be patient?

tumblr_luavx1Vqr71ql83dco1_500.jpg

I'm probably just being a little paranoid, but some reassurance would be nice. Thanks in advance!

A few hours is nothing, so I'd let it ride for while...a few details are always helpful (original gravity, or if you didn't take a reading, the amount of honey and volume of your batch; the type of yeast; if it was dry yeast, did you rehydrate it?)

Either way, I'll bet by this time tomorrow, you'll report back that the fermentation is rocking...

Agreed, fermentaion can take up to 2 hours pr thereabouts, depending on the variable biochemedic mentioned above, youre good.

A straight mead really doesn't foam up very much if at all. At least nothing like beer or a melomel. Forget about it for a long while...mead likes being abandoned.
-cheers

Wow! Thanks for All the replies folks! Great wee community. I got home from work this morning, lo and behold:

tumblr_luc93gMCni1ql83dco1_500.jpg

Foam!!

As for the gravity, etc I can't say much on that. It contained 3 pound of honey though.

Depending on the yeast you used, there may not be much visual evidence beyond what you see on top of your must. Is your airlock bubbling?

A straight mead really doesn't foam up very much if at all. At least nothing like beer or a melomel. Forget about it for a long while...mead likes being abandoned.
-cheers

I wouldn't say that it likes being abandoned. It likes privacy and quiet to do it's best. It also encorages lazyness. Patients and lazyness are close enough together. If your impatient, brew beer or soda. Or make mixed drinks.

Don't forget that when fermentation is done, age it at least 6 months. You won't be disapointed. Better to age a year but with your first batch it is hard to wait. Beer doesn't need much aging but Mead, like wine does.

Matrix (Simple yet complicated)

I wouldn't say that it likes being abandoned. It likes privacy and quiet to do it's best. It also encorages lazyness. Patients and lazyness are close enough together. If your impatient, brew beer or soda. Or make mixed drinks.

Don't forget that when fermentation is done, age it at least 6 months. You won't be disapointed. Better to age a year but with your first batch it is hard to wait. Beer doesn't need much aging but Mead, like wine does.

Matrix (Simple yet complicated)

I'm doing my best just to be patient with it, I just want my first batch to turn out really well. By the way, in your opinions where's the best place to keep the mead as the yeast works it's magic? I have a "hot cupboard" where we dry clothes and such. Would that maybe be a good idea?

These may seem like really stupid questions and I apologise for it.

I'm doing my best just to be patient with it, I just want my first batch to turn out really well. By the way, in your opinions where's the best place to keep the mead as the yeast works it's magic? I have a "hot cupboard" where we dry clothes and such. Would that maybe be a good idea?

Aagh, no! Cooler is better...60-70*F (15-21*C, since I assume you're in Scotland?) or otherwise you're going to have a lot of fuesel alcohols that will give the mead a 'hot' or solvent-like character that can take forever to smooth/age out.

I keep all of my projects in my room.. warmest up there right now :)

Oh, and keep it in the dark. I understand UV does funny things to yeast as well. I actually use a spring clip and an old towel so I don't have to hide it in my closet.

I'm keeping mine in the kitchen at the moment. Also, all of the foam has really died down. I know this happens normally anyway but damn it gave me a scare at first.

As far as temp is conserned, I agree that 60-70 degrees out of direct sunlight is best. But overall it depends on the yeast.

In the fall/winter I use Lavin D-47 a lot. It shouldn't go above 70 degrees F, this is because it does produce fusel alcohols, that HOT taste, or really alcoholy taste is the Fusels. Now my brew area in the fall and winter can go from 55-67. The low end doesn't bother me as when you get down to a certian point of temp the yeast settles into dormancy and settles in the bottom. A quick stir now and then in the primary fermentation is good. When it slows down let it settle and then rack. Now in the Summer, I use Lavin 71B, that has a temp tollerance of up to 83 degrees F or so. In the summer my brew area can go from 68-early 80s F. So I am better served by a yeast that can handle hotter temps. It will still produce some fusels but less so than D-47 would.

So to answer your question, No on very hot, check your yeast, cooler and dark or not in direct sun, better.

I think that you will do fine on your first batch, you are already asking the right questions and that is 1/2 of it. Instinct is another part. Another part is good guessing. But overall, Experimentation and Research are what you need that lead to Experience.

Enjoy the process, don't worry as much. Making good Mead is easy, Making Great Mead takes time, research, experimentation, and getting many judges to help you drink all the experiments and get their opinions. :mug::tank:

Hope this helps.

Matrix

Wow, thanks for the wise and kind words matrix! Glad I'm not just throwing out stupid questions here! I'm definitly interested in experimenting a little with yeast. Perhaps something with apples....We shall see next pay day!

Latest posts

Back