How much dark candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
How much dark belgian candi sugar is typical or appropriate for a belgian dark strong recipe with a simple grain bill? My intent is for the majority of the rich, dark fruit flavors to come from the addition of the dark sugar as is apparently traditional for the style (per Stan Hieronymus' BLAM).

I currently have on hand 1 lb. of "D" (SRM 80) and "D2" (SRM 160) both from Dark Candi. I was considering adding both, which in my particular recipe would account for 10% of the fermentables and a 10 SRM shift in the expected color.

I have not included my recipe, because I'm interested in the general consensus as to how much to add for something in the style of a Belgian Dark Strong, not a critique of my recipe.

Let's hear your thoughts!

Well the amount is going to depend upon the size of the recipe, the ABV, other ingredients, desired flavors, etc. Typically you see sugar adjuncts added up to 10% but with some Belgians it's not uncommon to see it go up to 20% on high ABV beers when you're using dark sugar.

Back